My first elk hunt

Ok "not a Gucci guy"
1) Why pidddle dick around with a 308 when you can use an 30-06?
2) A 308 produces hydrostatic shock?
3) Around the world a lot of Moose succumb to 6.5 bullets, just keep your shots realistic.
4) At one point the 243, 270WIN, 7MM Mag and 308 were all the darlings of the "marketing nuts".
5) The 6.5C is not based on MV and foot pounds of energy it is base on sectional density.
6) In the Fed Fusion line the 180gr 308 and 270 150gr have the same energy at 500 yards and equals the 6.5C energy at 400 yards. Both the 270 and 6.5 have better SD than the 308.
7) The 308 was fine for hunting and is slightly better than the 6.5C, but of course "non marketing hyped" types opt for the 30-06.
If he doesn't own a 30-06, I wouldn't suggest buying one if he does own a 308. At practical range, there isn't enough difference to squabble about. Remember, the 308 replaced 30-06 as a military rifle. People and elk are quite a bit different though....
"Around the world a lot of Moose succumb to 6.5 bullets, just keep your shots realistic."
I agree, but my Great Grandad hunted moose with great success in the Alaskan Gold Rush with a 25-35 Winchester......it worked fine, but personally, I wouldn't consider either a good "Moose Rifle". Grandad also hunted deer with a 22LR. It was legal back then and he kept shots close. Other that poachers, today nobody considers a 22LR a deer rifle.

I have heard the 6.5 Creedmore does fine on elk, but you can't argue with the 308's track record. I'll bet 1,000's of elk have been taken with a 308. That is just a guess though, I have never seen any info to prove it. When you look at the 6.5 Creedmore, it's not a lot different really, smaller diameter, but same case. Personally, I'd go with a heavy bullet in the 308 if it was me. All that said, I guided elk hunters for nearly 30 years and I don't recall a single one using a 308.....30-06 either. Marketing does wonders and everyone seems to want either as big as they can get, or the new kid on the block. Elk are as big as a horse and in my opinion, bigger is better when it comes to elk. They can soak up a lot of lead. I would not go below 30 caliber personally, but lots of elk have been taken with 25-06 and smaller.......
Thank you. I will go with the 308.
Surprised you have never had a client with 3006.

I've had two very similar experiences. Shot a deer 5 times with a 30/30 when I was young. 80 yards or so. All five in and around the heart. All pass thrus The deer was dead with the first shot but this was before I knew pumping out was like holding your breath. The deer never reacted to any bullet. He just walked in circles till he fell down. Best tasting buck Id eaten to that point in
My life.

The second time was a 2000 lb bison. 3 shots in the lungs from 180 yards. No wind. Woods were quiet. 300 Win Mag with 180 Partitions. He didn't move once. When we processed him it was clear he was dead with the first shot. The second two shots pretty much traveled in the same wound canal as the first. The Partitions worked perfectly. My mind knew I was hitting him exactly on the spot but my emotions had me thinking I was missing him altogether. He just stood there. All the shots were thru and thru and were about 2" apart. Not one broke a rib. The 4th shot was forward. Clipped a shoulder blade going in and hitting large muscles going out. That's when he took off like a scalded cat for about 100 feet and piled up. As soon as you hit bone they will usually react. Having sad that, yes a perfectly placed 6.5 will probably kill an elk at distance if you hit him in the pipe works with a bullet that will expand. Even if it doesn't, any hole in a heart is fatal in less than a minute. Not so with lungs. You can pin hole a big animal's lungs and he may go miles. So I'll take a 30 cal every time. I'm a 308 Win fan to 600 yards. Maybe a bit further on the right day.

Since that time I've made too many heart shots to count. After that buck it occurred to me that I had always aimed for a low heart shot with a bow and if it worked with a bow why not my rifles. I don't know how many, but I do know it's my favorite point of aim and if you can call your shot, you know its in the pipes, then you just give them time to die. They always taste better when they just fall over. Hit bone, the adrenaline flows and meat get gamey instantly.
So true. What state you shoot your bison in ? Az., Ut. or Wy. ? I've killed 5 bulls in 4 different states. Az. Archery along with 5 cow elk Archery. The bulls I shot with rifle were 2 in Co. with 7 mm Rem. mag. Both Barnes 150 TSX.. One in Utah a Barnes 180 TTSX from 300 RUM. Wy. Barnes 180 TTSX 300 RUM 543 yds.. Az. a Satillite Titan 125 gr. Broadhead. All rifles shots in shoulder. They drop right there. No running. Dead in seconds. The broadhead went thru both sides ribcage . Double lunged . Never hit a rib. I cow called after hit. He stopped at about 70 yds. Dropped. Arrow and broadhead were perfect. Only my knock came off. This was after calling him in from a tree stand from other side of canyon. After about an hour. Would of loved to had video of whole thing. If you can kill a bull in about 15 seconds with an arrow. I'm sure any caliber with a good bullet in correct spot will kill an elk or any animal .

I know for certain tht it was the ELDX, and I'm pretty sure they had big game listed on the box! I have read many posts about the Creed, remembered that it was an odd number bullet weight ....for some reason, 147 popped into my mind! memtb
147 eldm match target. 143 eldx. Hunting. I can't keep it straight anymore either brother . 🤔

welcome to the forums!

Colorado requires your bullet be at least 143 gr with a centerfire rifle for large game.

I like both rounds but for elk I would prefer 308…. 30 cal is a killer. The 308 will also carry more energy at 500 yards and it is suggested you should have 1500 lbs of energy to kill an elk.

Frankly, either rifle will work with a double lung shot…. Make sure you are in great shape and good hunting!

Hey, don't over think it. I'm a hunting guide in New Zealand and have guided in the US and shot plenty of elk and big Red Stags. Since it's your first hunt stick to the 308 - all the bullets will work just fine.....the key to it is bullet placement! Drill him straight into the shoulder - broken shoulder will stop him and either aid bullet expansion or if it fragments that will do plenty of damage internally to enable your "ethical kill"...... also get closer if you can - 400 yrds is great but 300 yrds is better! If you hit him hard in the shoulder he'll go down. Good luck, breath, relax and enjoy the trip.

Hey, don't over think it. I'm a hunting guide in New Zealand and have guided in the US and shot plenty of elk and big Red Stags. Since it's your first hunt stick to the 308 - all the bullets will work just fine.....the key to it is bullet placement! Drill him straight into the shoulder - broken shoulder will stop him and either aid bullet expansion or if it fragments that will do plenty of damage internally to enable your "ethical kill"...... also get closer if you can - 400 yrds is great but 300 yrds is better! If you hit him hard in the shoulder he'll go down. Good luck, breath, relax and enjoy the trip.
Thank you.

I am trying to connect with someone to teach me. I was advised not to try it alone. This past year it's been difficult. Hopefully now that we are opening I can find a class
Check at any public range they usually have precision shooting and reloading classes

I will be hunting elk this year in Colorado. I have a 308 and 6.5. Both shoot very accurate out to 500 yard. I practice shooting from 300 to 500
Are both guns enough for an ethical kill I read ballistics and plan to use 1500 ft lbs of force giving me a range of 400 yards. I will be using Hornady eldx
Hi Michael, I'm from Idaho which does not make me an expert. But I've hunted elk a lot and killed elk with 243s up to 300 Weatherby's. Yardages from 150 out to about 450. The fastest thing that I've seen dropping elk was just my plain old 30 ought 6 with 180 grain round nose or spire point Sierra bullet. I'm not saying we're overthinking things here, but 30 ought 6 is just a little more of a 308. In many cases barely over a 308. I think any good hunting bullet will have you eating elk if you do your part. The most impressive bullet I've used was the Nosler partition. It was also the only one that I recovered, under the hide on the off side and it had mushroomed itself up just like the ad said. Either way you choose good luck. Be careful and happy hunting.

Hi Michael, I'm from Idaho which does not make me an expert. But I've hunted elk a lot and killed elk with 243s up to 300 Weatherby's. Yardages from 150 out to about 450. The fastest thing that I've seen dropping elk was just my plain old 30 ought 6 with 180 grain round nose or spire point Sierra bullet. I'm not saying we're overthinking things here, but 30 ought 6 is just a little more of a 308. In many cases barely over a 308. I think any good hunting bullet will have you eating elk if you do your part. The most impressive bullet I've used was the Nosler partition. It was also the only one that I recovered, under the hide on the off side and it had mushroomed itself up just like the ad said. Either way you choose good luck. Be careful and happy hunting.
Thank you.