My first elk hunt

How did hunters ever kill elk, deer, etc., without magnums in the old days ? I'm sure a lot of deer, elk and bear were killed with muzzle loaders and 30-30's. Ethical is your own known distance and ability to be consistent at whatever yardage it is. What you are comfortable with.

How did hunters ever kill elk, deer, etc., without magnums in the old days ? I'm sure a lot of deer, elk and bear were killed with muzzle loaders and 30-30's. Ethical is your own known distance and ability to be consistent at whatever yardage it is. What you are comfortable with.
Have a friend who always hunted elk with his 30-30. Last time he used that 30-30 he came home with elk meat. 😉

Have a friend who always hunted elk with his 30-30. Last time he used that 30-30 he came home with elk meat. 😉
If I was 100 yds open sights or maybe 150 and had to use a 30-30 I wouldn't hesitate. If I was using my TC Contender barrel with scope I would push it to 200 or maybe 250 with correct bullet. But I wouldn't be hunting elk with a 30-30 anyway. Maybe many years ago ? But most likely a 30.06. now days I'm 300 RUM, 300 Win mag, 7mm Rem mag , 6.5 PRC or 6.5x284. only 308 I have left is an Encore barrel. Gave a Rem. 700 BDL I got for free to friend I owed money to many years ago. It was a shooter. No more 30.06 either. Had a Ruger M77 30.06 . Sold it long time ago. Gave my grandpa's 1903 Springfield to a friend last year. Hadn't shot in 30 yrs. I'm sure most everybody has sold guns they wish they still had....

Hi Michael, I'm from Idaho which does not make me an expert. But I've hunted elk a lot and killed elk with 243s up to 300 Weatherby's. Yardages from 150 out to about 450. The fastest thing that I've seen dropping elk was just my plain old 30 ought 6 with 180 grain round nose or spire point Sierra bullet. I'm not saying we're overthinking things here, but 30 ought 6 is just a little more of a 308. In many cases barely over a 308. I think any good hunting bullet will have you eating elk if you do your part. The most impressive bullet I've used was the Nosler partition. It was also the only one that I recovered, under the hide on the off side and it had mushroomed itself up just like the ad said. Either way you choose good luck. Be careful and happy hunting.
I've shot several with a 30-40 Krag. I have it loaded as a 308 though in the stronger Winchester highwall action. So far, just one shot on all of them. Several with a 45-70 loaded with blackpowder too. You don't need a super magnum if you get close. (Under 200 yards or so)

30-30 is a storied round and I like it for closer range stuff, in particular pigs, but my elk hunts this year it's gonna be to the WinMag. Hard to get away with bigger holes, helps cover some of the variables that come up in hunting situations.
I think the 300 Win Mag has become the most popular elk rifle/cartridge.

I will be hunting elk this year in Colorado. I have a 308 and 6.5. Both shoot very accurate out to 500 yard. I practice shooting from 300 to 500
Are both guns enough for an ethical kill I read ballistics and plan to use 1500 ft lbs of force giving me a range of 400 yards. I will be using Hornady eldx
Pick a sturdy 30 cal. bullet that your 308 likes. A partition, bonded or copper mono are all good choices. Sounds like from your comment you realize you should limit you shots to 400 or less. Good luck, hope to see you post a successful hunt shortly.

I appreciate all the very comprehensive replys. This is my first post. Most replies reference calibers not key ballistics. Let's assume a 30 cal bullet is the best. Sorry Jack O'Conner. If my ballistics is 1700ft lbs of energy at target velocity 2156. This is barns vortex 168 gr ttsx. Is this not sufficient? You can assume any 30 caliber. Very good bullet. Good velocity and based on statics enough energy. And a very good placed shoot
So help me expand my understanding.

I appreciate all the very comprehensive replys. This is my first post. Most replies reference calibers not key ballistics. Let's assume a 30 cal bullet is the best. Sorry Jack O'Conner. If my ballistics is 1700ft lbs of energy at target velocity 2156. This is barns vortex 168 gr ttsx. Is this not sufficient? You can assume any 30 caliber. Very good bullet. Good velocity and based on statics enough energy. And a very good placed shoot
So help me expand my understanding.
That velocity should expand your Barnes bullet just fine and 1700ftlbs is more than you need to get decent penetration. I've killed elk with less.