My First Custom Build Idea

No I meant it as I stated it. The fluted barrel has a greater surface area than a non fluted barrel of the same diameter. Greater surface area = enhanced rigidity.

I can't dispute this based on personal experience as I have no way of actually testing this. Suffice to say that this is contrary to the grand majority available information from those "in the know." I have no stake in this, just want the correct information to be passed along.

I will tell you guys what the benchrest crowd has to say about fluting. It doesn't help or hurt accuracy, this is info on barrels with ODs of .850-1.450". The only reason these guys ever use fluting is for looks or to make the 17lb light gun weight, it doesn't make them more accurate and has little effect on cooling, sometimes none on the heavier barrels. I know opinions are like a$$holes, mine is its a waste of 125-175$, however the highend snake fluting does look badass!

well.. i could care less about looks to a point, and I really dont want to pay for anything that wont make me more accurate. I dont plan on shooting in very fast succession so the heating issue isnt that big of a deal to me. I am not a competition shooter, I am a hunter and a recreational shooter. I do love the Mcmillan A-5 (since we are talking about looks) but all of this custom stuff seems very confusing to me. Bedding, Truing, Crowning, Pillars, and threading.. BAHH its confusing to me. I know what I want but i dont know how to go about it. I tried to go to Kreiger today to fill out one of their forms, but I I dont really know the "terms" for what I want. The sendero contour doesnt have a number with it, so I dont know what to put on the form, and I dont know if my action needs truing or not, etc etc...!!! HELP

Factory rem 700, yeah definently needs truing, threads recut, lugs milled, etc... full blueprint. As for a Sendero contour its approximately .835" at the muzzle at 26". With a 260 and a Sendero contour you should be able to fire 20 rounds in under 15 minutes and the barrel just be slightly warm. My 6.5x284 has a heavy Sendero contour, .875" at the muzzle, when I played with it in 1 1000yrd relay I fired it 13 times in under 7 minutes and it wasn't hot, pretty warm, but not hot. Your going to spend close to 3k if you want the good stuff, so start saving.

well.. i could care less about looks to a point, and I really dont want to pay for anything that wont make me more accurate. I dont plan on shooting in very fast succession so the heating issue isnt that big of a deal to me. I am not a competition shooter, I am a hunter and a recreational shooter. I do love the Mcmillan A-5 (since we are talking about looks) but all of this custom stuff seems very confusing to me. Bedding, Truing, Crowning, Pillars, and threading.. BAHH its confusing to me. I know what I want but i dont know how to go about it. I tried to go to Kreiger today to fill out one of their forms, but I I dont really know the "terms" for what I want. The sendero contour doesnt have a number with it, so I dont know what to put on the form, and I dont know if my action needs truing or not, etc etc...!!! HELP
For about 800.00 you can send your action to either Lilja or Krieger with instructions for them to do you a Sendero Contour Stainless Fluted barrel and true the action as well as the final fitting/headspacing.

You cannot come up with a better deal than that.

And thats why this is the best forum on the net! So Wildrose, what should I do after I buy the 700. I know some of my decisions arent "ideal" but I cant help my wants! I would like a "trued" 700 action (and if I could get that bolt fluted that would be cool), sitting in a Mcmillan A-5 Stock (with adjustable cheekpiece and sandbag hook) and for the tube I'd Like to have a 26" Rem Varmint/sendero contoured SS barrel chambered in .260 (which is my favorite caliber behind the .338) and finally id like to stick a suppressor/brake (even though I shouldnt need one), and dont forget about a timney/jewel trigger set around 2lbs.

So what should I do first after I buy the 700? Should I get the action trued? or Go ahead and send my action to Kreiger? Or order the stock? I am new at this so thanks for your patience.

Considered a Savage action? I've done a lot of research recently. I'm a college kid looking to get into shooting and found a deal I can't pass up. Trophy Hunter XP in .260 for $500. Selling the Nikon BDC 3-9 Prostaff included for $150, bringing my cost down to $350 for a Savage action with Accutrigger. Not a bad start. You could probbaly get away with the Accutrigger for a while, screw in barrels you can have done cheaply or do yourself. Any stock you want. Some say the Savage is a better value than the 700. I can see why. Savage is 2nd to the 700 in customization and accessories. 2nd, but a very close 2nd.

I agree definitely! Savage is reallllllly coming up in the world! The 700 I am buying is the complete rifle and i am buying from a guy who desperately needs the cash. The barrel has less than 20 rounds through it and I may try and sell it on ebay or something.. its in amazing shape. I would sell it for about 100 bucks. Also the Hogue stock thats on it.. id only ask like 50 for it.. and if I can sell those two things I would only be paying about 350 out of pocket. He is also throwing in a pair of rings/bases that I could possibly sale to a buddy for about 20-30 bucks. I just want the action because for a remington action.. its EXTREMELY SMOOTH. I was so supprised! But if you have a chance to go with that savage GO FOR IT!

I agree definitely! Savage is reallllllly coming up in the world! The 700 I am buying is the complete rifle and i am buying from a guy who desperately needs the cash. The barrel has less than 20 rounds through it and I may try and sell it on ebay or something.. its in amazing shape. I would sell it for about 100 bucks. Also the Hogue stock thats on it.. id only ask like 50 for it.. and if I can sell those two things I would only be paying about 350 out of pocket. He is also throwing in a pair of rings/bases that I could possibly sale to a buddy for about 20-30 bucks. I just want the action because for a remington action.. its EXTREMELY SMOOTH. I was so supprised! But if you have a chance to go with that savage GO FOR IT!

Yeah that's hard to beat. You cannot beat a Remmy for that price.

I mean.. i dont have any custom rifles. I have never done this before. I know alittle about the process, but not much. As soon as he told me that he was selling a 700 for 500 I immediately asked him to see the action! I didnt care to much about the barrel, the caliber, the stock, blah blah lol He said, "I am selling a remington 700 for 500$" but what I heard is "CODY THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO START YOUR FIRST CUSTOM BUILD WITH A MINT ACTION AND A DECENT PRICE" lol

I just reallyyy want to get started!

If it were me I'd send it into Krieger or lilja, have them true it up and put you a 26-28" barrel on it with either a sendero or light varmint contour if you're going to have to pack it around much.

Then worry about saving up your money for the stock of your dreams. Give those precision stock works stocks a look too.

The tacticool look impresses people at the shooting range but they are not as ergonomic and practical for hunting as a stock that truly is made for the hunter.

I'm probably going to go ahead and have at least two of my latest acquisitions put in their stocks, one M-70 stainless 300wm and one M-700CDL SF in .264wm.

If my wife actually figures out how much I've spent on rifles and accessories this year I may be in big trouble but stocks will be going up after the first of the year so if I can scrape it up I'll go ahead with at least two of them.

EDTA: I'd still go with the original suggestion of shooting this one as is, maybe go ahead and put it in a better stock since .308 Ammo is so abundant and cheap. If you manage to burn this barrel up along the way, by the time you get there your proficiency should be such that you won't even feel the need to shoot much once you have the new .260 barrel installed and broken in.

You may want to look at the entire picture, 800$ is just getting you started.

Lilja installed with the action face and lugs trued 825.00
Tubbs or PTG speedlock or atleast a wolff spring because I bet the factory one is a double or triple S 65.00
Bolt fluting 55.00
Jewell trigger 225.00
McMillan or Manners 5-700.00
Warne steel base 90.00
TPS rings 100.00
Stock bedding 175.00
Muzzle brake+ install 225.00

So that's 3435.00 including the purchase of the rifle and you would still be shooting by looking down the barrel like a 1930s shot gun, so after all that, may as well count on a grand or more for glass. Typically full customs minus a custom action will be well over 4k, so don't let everyone give you the idea that this is cheap or not a big deal, but "do it right, do it once!"

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.