My First Custom Build Idea

ishootkittens

Hey guys, its been a while, but I need some advice and what better place to come!

First, I have a buddy who just bought a Remington 700 sps tactical in .308. Well he took it to the range and out of the box it shot Sub-Moa with Hornady ammo. But anyway, a week later his dad bought him a new Tikka t3 .300win and he LOVES IT. well he just through his new remmy 700 in his safe with the rest of his old crap and I asked if I could buy it from him. He said that he would sell it to me for $500.00. I cant find any online that is "basically brand new" for less than that price. Would it be a good deal if I bought it?

My plan is to strip her down and start a custom .260 build from that 700 action. But thats probably the only thing I want from that 700. The barrel is a heavy type barrel but its only 22" and the stock is a hunk of junk. I was wanting to screw a krieger 26" on it and drop it in EITHER a bell and carlson adjustable Tactical Medalist OR a Mcmillan A-5 stock OR a Manners MCS T4A. THey allll look about the same but its hard for me to choose! Then drop a jewel trigger in it, and pop a suppressor/brake on the end and lay a 20MOA rail on top and call it a day!

What do you guys think? I could reallyyyy use some advice.. especially on the stock! I like them all and the prices are VERY different (on stockystocks website). Any advice is appreciated Thank you!

The action itself is worth about 400-450.00.

One thing you could do is buy it and just shoot the snot out of it the way it is for practice and then do a custom build in a few years.

Take a look at the Precision Stock works stocks in New Braunfels, TX. They are made for them by McMillan and should be an absolutely ideal stock for shooting either prone or sitting/kneeling supported. It is their own design which is ergonomic and practical as hell combined with McMillan stock production technology so it's a heck of a way to go.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...orks-rifleman-lrh-light-tactical-stock-99724/

.308 ammo is cheaper than .260 so you could start with this and work your way up in the future to a really nice custom gun built off of this action and a nice new stock and just work on it one piece at a time to save yourself some bucks on the way.

Thanks alot, I will be buying pieces here and there because as a college student im not doing so well financially, but I think I will buy the 700 and shoot some .308in it for a while as i piece together the components but I definitely want to throw together a .260 in the next year or so because to be honest I have always wanted a .260 custom build, but i never had the money to get started.

Thanks alot, I will be buying pieces here and there because as a college student im not doing so well financially, but I think I will buy the 700 and shoot some .308in it for a while as i piece together the components but I definitely want to throw together a .260 in the next year or so because to be honest I have always wanted a .260 custom build, but i never had the money to get started.
This will be a good way to get started. Buy this one, put it in a good stock and put a good scope on it and just shoot the hell out of it. It should last you anywhere upwards of 5,000 rounds unless just shoot it till it glows red again and again.

You can become extremely proficient with this shooting cheaper .308 ammo and when you are ready to rebarrel it you'll be at a point where doing so and buying the more expensive ammo won't be a strain on the budget.

Remember that most police and military sniper rifles chambered in .308 only have 20"-24" barrels so it's not like you will be suffering from a "shortage" in the barrel dept.

That's a really good point! I just needed to know if it was worth the 500 bucks or not! I saw some brand new receivers that were around 450-500 not counting the shipping, and I have the opportunity to grab the entire gun for 500 I figured I would give it a shot and start on a custom build. Thanks alot for the advice! Now what contour barrel should I get for the .260? I was thinking about the same contour that is on it now (sendero contour?). Also, is there anyyyy kinda kit out there that would let me get rid of that **** hinged floorplate??? I would love to have a magazine setup, but if I have to stick to the floorplate, I guess ill just live with it.

That's a really good point! I just needed to know if it was worth the 500 bucks or not! I saw some brand new receivers that were around 450-500 not counting the shipping, and I have the opportunity to grab the entire gun for 500 I figured I would give it a shot and start on a custom build. Thanks alot for the advice! Now what contour barrel should I get for the .260? I was thinking about the same contour that is on it now (sendero contour?). Also, is there anyyyy kinda kit out there that would let me get rid of that **** hinged floorplate??? I would love to have a magazine setup, but if I have to stick to the floorplate, I guess ill just live with it.
I'd suggest a little lighter than the Sendero Contour if you plan on doing much hoofing it in rough country. Every ounce counts in rough terrain.

Get something similar to the Sendero but that finishes out around .750 and 26-28" and you'll have all you need. Remember if you flute it, that will still give you as much or more surface area as a 1" round barrel that is unfluted.

Plan on going with Kreiger, Bartlein, or Lilja and have them do the truing and complete install. That should run you 800.00 or there abouts.

Ill do that! But may I ask, "why fluting?" I have seen many people go with fluting but what exactly does it do besides cut weight??? doesnt it make the barrel heat up faster and vibrate more???

Ill do that! But may I ask, "why fluting?" I have seen many people go with fluting but what exactly does it do besides cut weight??? doesnt it make the barrel heat up faster and vibrate more???
Exactly the opposite. The groove channels enhance radiating the heat away and the added surface area makes it stronger than a non fluted barrel of the same diameter.

Exactly the opposite. The groove channels enhance radiating the heat away and the added surface area makes it stronger than a non fluted barrel of the same diameter.

I believe you meant to say stiffer than a non fluted barrel of the same WEIGHT. As i understand it, given two equal diameter barrels, the non fluted barrel will be stiffer.

I believe you meant to say stiffer than a non fluted barrel of the same WEIGHT. As i understand it, given two equal diameter barrels, the non fluted barrel will be stiffer.
No I meant it as I stated it. The fluted barrel has a greater surface area than a non fluted barrel of the same diameter. Greater surface area = enhanced rigidity.

If you only want the action from the rifle, there are cheaper options. I picked up a nice complete .243 a couple weeks ago for $375 shipped to me. I only wanted the action and trigger. The SPS Tac is a decent deal at $500, but I'm just saying there are cheaper options if your just looking for a action.

Also, take a look at Scout Supply Company. Russel has a Stage 1 accuracy package where you get the SPS Tac from him and be has already trued/squared the action, set back and recut the chamber on the factory barrel with a PTG match reamer, recrowned the barrel, and threaded it for a brake/suppressor with a custom thread protector. All this work plus the rifle for $825. For slightly more, he can also do the same work, but add a custom barrel and chamber to your choice of calibers.

Buy what you want the first time.

I'm not a "factory" remington fan but the SPS tactical can shoot .3-.4moa with little work. The barrel is a 20" 12 twist and the stock is a Hogue overmold, and the trigger is a $hitty xmark. Buy it, have it completely bedded, lugs lapped, recrowned, and put a Rifle Basix, Timney, or Jewell trigger in it with a Tubbs or PTG speedlock because the factory pin spring is likely as crooked as a politician. You do for say about an extra 350$ and you may never want to do anything else to it. You want a 260 done the way it should be buy a Savage model 12LRP, 26" 8 twist, HS stock, trigger adjustable down to 6 ozs, dbm, couldn't ask for much more for under a grand, my local guy said 840 out the door, msrp is like 1250 or so.

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! I will say one thing about the bolt, its as smooth as glass and it is bascially brand new so there isnt one scuff. But as far as the trigger. Its crap. The hogue stock is SUPER crap. The barrel is okay if you want a .308 (which I plan on shooting the s*it out of it until I can afford to have some of the barrel work done to convert it to a .260.) but I cant find a rem 700 SA receiver for under 500 anywhere and I may be able to sell that barrel/stock if I find someone who wanted it before I shoot it out.

I know the fibergalss stocks are WAY nicer. They feel better, they're more reliable, but... guns can shoot really good with injection molded ore wood laminates. So I would get all the important stuff out of the way before dropping big bills on a stock. Trigger first. Then the action blueprint/rebarrel. Then the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.