My First Build (338 on a budget.......right!!)

pinchegil

A year ago I found this site, four months later I started my first build, Not having a large budget I was hoping to bring the gun in around $2000 with optics. Underestimating gunsmith charges (blueprinting) I finished at $2300 Just in time for elk season :D.
Rem 700 action blueprinted (started as a new sps 300 Rum)
Remington Xmark Pro trigger and bottom metal (from sps 300 RUM)
Hart 1:10 31 Inch finished 1.25 .91 double taper Chambered 338 Edge
4 Port Muscle Brake
Larue Tactical 20 MOA Rail
Weaver Tactical Rings
Nitrex TR2 2x10x50 (Aka Weaver Tactical, crazy deal with rebate from nachez)
Sendero Takeoff Stock ( good deal from LRH Member)
Chamber, blueprinting, and Brake Installation (David Sullivan, West wind Rifles)
Harris Bi-pod closeout from midway.
Devcon (bedding by David Wilkerson retired gunsmith and neighbor not cheap...... Free!!!)

In retrospect, I could have purchased a custom action for about $100 more than the SPS and blueprinting, however then I would have had the additional cost of trigger and bottom metal. All and all I really enjoyed the process...........except for the waiting, that kinda sucked :cool:. Also, for any other noobs reading this, You should also budget another coupla hundred for brass, bullets, dies,cleaning rod, etc.

firstbuild.jpg

Last edited:
Today I am shooting it for the first time, this site has been great for load info. The goto powders for this caliber are h1000, and then rl25 and retumbo. Today I have loaded :
87,87.5,88,88.5/89/89.5 grains of new lot h1000
300gn smk (this gun was built for 300grn, i left the bottom metal in but it is a single shot)
hand sorted & prepped remington brass
cci 250 mag primers.

The test cartridge I loaded for the smith had 88.5 grains of h1000 and while it was faint, you could see extractor mark, and the primer was starting to flatten.

You done good!

Don't ya love being behind schedule and over budget?:D

Just in time is a better way to say it though.:)

Now comes the accessories...... LRF, weather station, drag bag, larger vehicle to haul the thing and to get you to where there is something to shoot with that sucker. And on and on and on. Life is great!gun)

Very nice rig.

You'll be lovin' life.

This is my last post since this is a gun photo forum, here are two images representing 89gn and 89.5 grn loads at 600 yards. Since this is the first day of shooting, and I am not the best of shots so if the gun shoots this good for me, I think I got my money's worth :D. the 89.5 wound up 2825fps.
target1.jpg
target2.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

He does really nice work, there is a bit of a wait, but he does all the work himself, and besides you can always expect good craftsmen to be busy. He has the cleanest shop I have ever been in, you could eat off the floor :). I seriously recommend him to anyone looking to build a precision rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.