My first Aoudad hunt

Prieto9000

I went on a Aoudad hunt las december with a fiend of mine. This was a fully guided hunt in Northern Mexico and managed to get an awesome 35.5" monster.
We located a herd that was covered by some trees around 250 yds away from us and my buddy decided to take a shot on what looked like a nice Ram. He took the shot with his 7mm wby and the ram ran away. He was pretty sure it was a good hit, so we went to look for it. There it was, 50 yds away laying dead. Just before we got to him I saw the rest of the herd running away and decided to go and pursuit them. I spotted a really nice ram among them. Grass was really tall so walking/running was really challenging but after zigzagging for a while, the herd separated in 2 and I managed to stay behind the big ram I spotted. They were hiding behind some trees and brush when a small ram crossed in front of me 200 yds away. I stopped and waited for the rest of the herd to start crossing and they did. The third Ram that "attempted" to cross was the one I was chasing; when I saw the horns running I lifted up my rifle, aimed for the nose and Bang-Flop. He just kneeled down on the spot. The shot was quite challenging. The Ram was running from right to left, I has to shoot offhand and was pretty agitated after the chase. It took just one 6.5mm 147 ELDM on the neck out of my 6.5 Creedmoor to get him DRT.
BC3E3728-4573-45B3-B5FA-3B5FC3CF1F40.jpeg

638AC68C-5710-4AF6-B73A-0ECF60D85F5F.jpeg

35DC5FE7-18FB-4AF3-8DD2-89ED0DC24DCB.jpeg

A0330ACE-47E5-4DAB-A8FC-D016929A2206.jpeg

Nice. I hear there are some very big rams south of the border
Yep. And you can choose the kind of hunt you want. You can go to the mountains and engage a spot and stalk hunt with all its complications, or you can go somewhere with a more friendly terrain

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts