My first 3 shots of the year - archery range

I had Giardia one time. Sounds like the same symptoms. I think Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can be deadly tho.
Yes I found out later that it can be fatal if treatment is not started within 5 to 7 days of the onset of symptoms I waited nine days probably why mine was pretty severe what can I say I'm stubborn I don't take vaccines when I get sick I'll tough it out but I am getting older I need to keep that in the back of my mind

I need to get out and shoot a little myself but I've actually only hunted once during archery season in the last five years mainly due to the hot temperatures and ticks I've had Rocky Mountain spotted fever once and it is the sickest that I have ever been in my life not looking to do that again
Use Sawyer's Permethrin spray on your clothes. It does a good job of keeping ticks off you as long as you have all of the potential entrances tucked in or tightened up. If you do find one on your clothes, they are usually trying to get off you as fast as they can. Make sure you follow the directions on applying it. It is NOT like bug spray.

Use Sawyer's Permethrin spray on your clothes. It does a good job of keeping ticks off you as long as you have all of the potential entrances tucked in or tightened up. If you do find one on your clothes, they are usually trying to get off you as fast as they can. Make sure you follow the directions on applying it. It is NOT like bug spray.
Oh yes it's definitely different spray it on your clothes let it dry good for several washings after that

If you ever plan on hunting elk with archery gear, you up your odds of a shot opportunity double if not more if you can make shots at 60+ yards. I'm the same way in my home state. 30-40 yards on deer is max IMO. A treestand in a wooded setting makes anything beyond 30 almost impossible. In open areas, 40 is not far. 60 could be average and 70-80 could be common.

Distance increases error rate and inversely decreases KE at POI.

Attachments

• 20200905_080545_resized.jpg
    20200905_080545_resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
View attachment 211298View attachment 211298View attachment 211299View attachment 211307

My son did the same. Got his bow back on a Wednesday, dialed it in Thursday, took off on Friday, and warmed up on this prairie maggot before spotting and stalking his deer. It has been a pretty good August for him.
View attachment 211298View attachment 211298View attachment 211299View attachment 211307

My son did the same. Got his bow back on a Wednesday, dialed it in Thursday, took off on Friday, and warmed up on this prairie maggot before spotting and stalking his deer. It has been a pretty good August for him.
I was able to fill my tag Saturday. I just started this stick and string thing in April after we got tags. Son had been on me for a couple years to try it. Glad I did.
20200905_080545_resized.jpg

I have a late start and decided to have my bowstring replaced. Went to the range yesterday during my lunch break.

View attachment 211030View attachment 211031View attachment 211032

Considering anything past 20 yards is a blur (I forgot to wear contact on my right eye), I thought the session went well. It took me longer to wax the string than the actual shots, very pleased with it.
That's as far as I will attempt to kill a deer 40 yards MAX proven they can move enough past that range that it could mean a miss or worse a crippled deer. Some very long shots have been made 70-80 yards, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to be positive that an animal won't move while your arrow is in flight. They can move for many reasons and also the wind can cause a miss at longer ranges.

Archery season is in full swing in NH. Filled my doe tag and headed to VT. My setup is a bowtech realm-x 27in draw 70lbs shooting a 435 grain easton axis 5mm with a rage hypodermic on the end. Took her at under 10 yards quarterd away.
Resized_20201016_195252.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.