My favorite caliber

What’s your favorite caliber?

• .30 caliber

Votes: 116 70.7%
  • .27 caliber

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters
I too like my 6.5x284 been around for 50 plus years,and before that the 6.5x55 swede took a lot of game all the way up to elephants, still trying to figure out what the purpose of the creed is???
Other than to stick money in tubbs and hornady pocket.
Purpose of the CreedMoore is it fits in AR platforms and make lots of $$ for manufacturers as you stated. Does nothing a Swiss 6.5x55 can't do except fit in an AR rifle. Just got a surplus Schultz and Larsen in 6.5x55, a great target rifle with med heavy barrel and Mauser 98 action for under $300 and it's near new condition.

I hear a lot of talk about recoil in these discussions, with many guns being chosen based on the level of rearward thump. As someone who learned serious shooting in the infantry and spent time as an instructor I believe much of the effect of recoil comes from lack of instruction and, even more, poor rifle design. In the army I was taught that (with iron sights, of course), you first look at your target and then bring your rifle up so the sights are between you and the target - and if you have to move around to find the target in your sights than the rifle needs to be altered. When I started buying hunting rifles I couldn't find one off the shelf that achieved that. For most of my adult life I was in the six foot, 200 pound category and every rifle I shouldered had too long a pull. When I started cutting them down to around a 13 inch I could bring them in to rest on my collar bone and keep my head more upright. This significantly changed how I felt recoil. The longer guns forced me to move the butts out toward my shoulder and lean my head over to see the sights and that torques on you when you fire heavy loads. Shortening the butt also made it easier to see through scopes when I began mounting them on guns, although I still found I needed extension rings on most rifles so I wouldn't have to move my head forward to get the whole picture. Over the years I gave up being surprised by how many time someone who is checking our one of my rifles commented on how well it fits them - or how the sight picture was right there when they picked it up - unlike their own guns. Some guys are so used to their own guns they stretch their necks forward when mounting mine and then complain that they would probably get whacked by the scope if they fired it. I gave up trying to explain why that isn't necessary. Dealing with an ornery grizzly is easier than telling adult shooters they are doing something wrong.

I like my 270-300WM quite a bit. 150g TBT at 3350 or a 170 Berger at 3200, 165 Matrix a little faster, Or a 130g Barnes TSX at close to 3600. Usually animals are DRT like the switch was shut off. Brass is easy to get and form, dies are available.

I am huge fan of my 300 WM and have taken game on three continents with it, most with a one shot kill. I shoot everything I can get my hands on from .177 Air Rifles to .50 BMG and never found one that didn't have some utility. However, recently, I have become a fan of the 6.5's and unless you are going for larger game, especially dangerous game, it is capable for anything in North America save for the big bears. I always err on the side of too much gun than just barely enough but that's preference. It's not fair to the animal otherwise (in my opinion) because in the field, there are too many variables that you can't control and having a bit of margin is smart. In order to honor the animal, you owe it your best chance to make a one shot kill. The one thing you can get with the lower recoil, cost of ammo and extended barrel life with the 6.5's is more practice time and in the end that can only make you a better hunter. So, having said all of that, if I had to pick just one caliber, it would be 300WM. The fortunate thing is we can customize the caliber to the hunt!

So hard to pick just one caliber! My newest caliber is 280AI. I love it. enough power and accuracy to reach out for elk to decent distances. Not over kill for deer. Recoil friendly enough to practice at the range. Accurate with a good number of loads. Not the barrel life of my 308 but not a barrel burner either. The 308 is great for deer and tons of range practice with a long barrel life. 7mm rm and 300 wm is great too and pretty versatile.

I'm on my third .300WM and can't seem to get away from them as an all rounder, especially with newer powders and bullet technology pushing the limits and achieving same or simialir energy and velocities down range to the new super magnums, however......

I now can't (or don't want to) live without the following cartridges:

-6.5 creed for plinking/training/medium game hunting
-6.5PRC for my lightweight, LR pack gun (6.5/284 achieves the same ballistics allbut in a Long action)
-28 Nosler as it's ballisiticaly one of the best coupled with the correct projectile - there are others in the .284 category that achieve simialir ballistics but for me, I want to be able to use Facotry made, readily available brass so I stuck with the Nosler.

I have several others but these will be staying with me for a very, very long time, if not forever.

Up to a point. For me, once you get up over about 60fp of recoil, they kick the same on game as on the bench. Especially if they kick both hard and fast. Try a hot loaded .340 with 210 bullets in a standard weight rifle with a lightweight scope and no brake, and get back with me. If it is not a negative experience even on game you are a better man than I am for sure.
Yeah I like a 338 RUM but I don't feel like spending a lot of days training with it. Have a 45-70 that I load hot for bears, but again I don't want a spend a lot of days training with it. 30-06 is easy to train with.

I have shot many elk bear and deer plus a few bears in my so far lucky life. My favorite calibers to date are 7 rem. mag, 300 H&H, 270 win and the 270 short mag. 45-70 marlin lever. 280 rem mag. 708 rem and 308 win, and an all time fav. is my full stock 6.5x55 sweed.
I have a really hard time taking only two of these on my elk hunts alll have done a great job. What I learned so far is YOU have to hit the animal in the right place.

Yeah, definitely missing a few other good options in there... I wouldn't even put .277 on the list, personally...

I would say .284 (7mm) caliber is my favorite. And 7mm SS, .280 Sherman, 7mm RemMag, .28 Nosler, or 7mm STW would be my preferred cartridge options.

Most respectfully, 7mm - 270 = .007" and with bullet selection very equal and nodding only about 10 grains to our well loved 7mm, they are virtual ballistic twins. I'm not biased, owning 270Win, 270WSM, 7mm-08 and 7WSM.

After seeing such great posts with strong data to back it up, I really can see any one person's favorite all around caliber, fitting somewhere between .277" and .338" for long distance hunting.

Most respectfully, 7mm - 270 = .007" and with bullet selection very equal and nodding only about 10 grains to our well loved 7mm, they are virtual ballistic twins. I'm not biased, owning 270Win, 270WSM, 7mm-08 and 7WSM.

After seeing such great posts with strong data to back it up, I really can see any one person's favorite all around caliber, fitting somewhere between .277" and .338" for long distance hunting.
I don't think I would call bullet selection close to equal for .270 and .284...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts