My Experiences with hammer bullets on game

Bigeclipse

I just wanted to talk about my thoughts on 4 hunts I have had with hammer bullets so far and give some feedback, especially after watching a YouTuber basically say to avoid them which gave me a scare. I have taken 3 deer with a 6.5prc and the 134 sledgehammers and 1 deer with a 28 nosler and 177 hammer hunter. All 4 animals either dropped or died within 30 yards of where they were shot. 3 were complete broadside pass throughs and 1 was with the deer facing straight towards me at close range which did not pass through but more on that later.

The 28 nosler kill and 1 of the 6.5 prc shots were ~500 yards. One hit rib on the way in and the other did not. Both appeared to open completely as the exit was substantial plum sized hole. Both were lung shots and they were pretty much completely destroyed.

The next two kills were both 6.5prc. One was broadside at about 150 yards and the head on one was only 30 ft. The 150 yard mimicked the above broadside shots but this time on top of the large exit there were 3 small slits which I am guessing were the petals breaking off due to high speed. The head on shot was recovered in the rear thigh of the buck. It entered the base of the neck, traveled through the heart liver guts and entered a rear hing quarter. The bullet also shed its pedals which I was able to find in the vitals.

I'm a believer so far. For me I was looking for a bullet which would work upclose but also at medium distances as I often kick deer up on my walks to the large fields I hunt. I have had some issues with explosive results up close when using eldxs as an example so I decided to give these a try. I can't say enough good things about them. That being said, I also hear they are not great past 700 yards or so (some have experienced their groupings opening up) but I'll likely never shoot that far so for my needs they are a winner.

Last edited:
I don't have the number of harvests that many others on here have, but my experience has been exceptional. My latest harvest was a cull buck @ 180ish yards with a 80 gr Hammer Hunter out of a 243AI. 3625 MV. Straight on with 15-18 mph crosswinds. Bullet entered just to the left of center. Scrambled the lungs. Base passed through animal completely, exiting just left of anus and scraping the pelvis. Buck surprisingly made it about 50 yards. No meat damage like a lead based bullet. Very effective so far. Most have tipped right over or taken a couple of steps.

My sample size is only three animals so far. Two big whitetail bucks and a pronghorn. Deer were both 50-60 yds out of a tree stand. Pronghorn was right at 200 yds. All three never took a step. Not even a twitch. So I'm impressed. This is out of a 6.5x47 with the 124 HH at 2938 FPS. I've also seen this guys videos. He talks about testing this and that. Blah blah blah. I'd like to know how many animals he's killed with a hammer?

My sample size is only three animals so far. Two big whitetail bucks and a pronghorn. Deer were both 50-60 yds out of a tree stand. Pronghorn was right at 200 yds. All three never took a step. Not even a twitch. So I'm impressed. This is out of a 6.5x47 with the 124 HH at 2938 FPS. I've also seen this guys videos. He talks about testing this and that. Blah blah blah. I'd like to know how many animals he's killed with a hammer?
Exactly. He's not even using the right gel if you truly want to use proper ballistics gel. Clear gel is for show. That all being said, I'm glad I ended up sticking with the hammers. I plan on starting to develop loads with hammers for my other hunting rigs as well.

Last edited:
I really wanted to try them in my 270 weatherbys and my 300 ultra but they are hard to find in Canadastan but I did find them and I think I'd have to sell a kidney to buy them.
Shot placement is key with any bullet and I just can't bring my self to pay $175 CDN for 100 bullets.
Hammer should have better distribution in Canada but maybe the market up here is peanuts to them so I will stick with Berger , Barnes , nosler which I know work and I can get at a lot of places.

I really wanted to try them in my 270 weatherbys and my 300 ultra but they are hard to find in Canadastan but I did find them and I think I'd have to sell a kidney to buy them.
Shot placement is key with any bullet and I just can't bring my self to pay $175 CDN for 100 bullets.
Hammer should have better distribution in Canada but maybe the market up here is peanuts to them so I will stick with Berger , Barnes , nosler which I know work and I can get at a lot of places.
I'm not sure on the exchange rate but they are over 100$ U.S. per 100 here. Certainly some of the most expensive out there. For hunting, an extra few dollars does not concern me. I will use bergers for target though.

I just wanted to talk about my thoughts on 4 hunts I have had with hammer bullets so far and give some feedback, especially after watching a YouTuber basically say to avoid them which gave me a scare. I have taken 3 deer with a 6.5prc and the 134 sledgehammers and 1 deer with a 28 nosler and 177 hammer hunter. All 4 animals either dropped or died within 30 yards of where they were shot. 3 were complete broadside pass throughs and 1 was with the deer facing straight towards me at close range which did not pass through but more on that later.

The 28 nosler kill and 1 of the 6.5 prc shots were ~500 yards. One hit rib on the way in and the other did not. Both appeared to open completely as the exit was substantial plum sized hole. Both were lung shots and they were pretty much completely destroyed.

The next two kills were both 6.5prc. One was broadside at about 150 yards and the head on one was only 30 ft. The 150 yard mimicked the above broadside shots but this time on top of the large exit there were 3 small slits which I am guessing were the petals breaking off due to high speed. The head on shot was recovered in the rear thigh of the buck. It entered the base of the neck, traveled through the heart liver guts and entered a rear hing quarter. The bullet also shed its pedals which I was able to find in the vitals.

I'm a believer so far. For me I was looking for a bullet which would work upclose but also at medium distances as I often kick deer up on my walks to the large fields I hunt. I have had some issues with explosive results up close when using eldxs as an example so I decided to give these a try. I can't say enough good things about them. That being said, I also hear they are not great past 700 yards or so (some have experienced their groupings opening up) but I'll likely never shoot that far so for my needs they are a winner.
Congrats and thanks for the Data, The Youtuber in question has not the slightest idea what he is talking about, not the first inkling

Here's the shank of a 52 grain hammer hunter after going through a 250# hog skull, severing the neck bone and coming to rest just under the hide of the shoulder. One of the petals even exited on the point of the shoulder. Impact speed about 3400 fps.
20211202_152010.jpg

Attachments

• 20211202_151906.jpg
    20211202_151906.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102