My Douglas STW.

Boyd Heaton

When I bought the gun he also gave me 44 loaded round's.The round's are loaded with 90gr of H870 Win LMR primer's and 150gr Ballistic tip's.Ten shot velocity is at 3274.And two five shot group's a touch under an inch.I wonder what a 162gr A-Max will shoot like out of this gun???

Boyd

Comparing my 7/300 Weatherby.
For my wintertime hunting load, I used 87 grs of WC872 (Like H870) and the 168 gr Sierra MK (of course)hehehehe.
1500 yards.

Later and good luck
Darryl Cassel

May I please know where one can buy some of that WC872? Is it a ball powder like the H870 so one might expect better barrel life?

I need to try some loads in my own 7-300 Wby, and I intend to use 162 AMAX, 180 Berger VLD, and (now) the 168MK.

Are magnum primers pretty much a must with these big calibers?

And might any of you gents have tried the Hodgdon BMG50 (?) powder for these overbore 7mm cartridges?

Nate

Try using the H870 first and see how you like it.
The WC872 is just a bit slower then the H870 but, not by much.
Either powder will give you longer barrel life because of the additional graphite. Both are very good powders for the overbore cartriges.
Try 85 to 87 Grs and the 168 Gr MK and you no doubt, will like it.

Use a Mag primer like the 215 Federal.

I have been able to get the WC 872 and have sold at least 1400 lbs of it over the years to hunting friends that live close to me here in PA. I won't ship any and my supply is getting hard to get now.

Have fun

Darryl Cassel

BOYD,

What cal. is your STW?

I shoot a 30STW, I'll give you loads and info if the same.

Take Care,

TGW
cool.gif

I really like my 30STW, with a 168gr berger, and 84.5gr of Reloader-22 it shoots about 3500fps+ , What is the largest bullet you can load in your gun? Can you chamber a 200gr?

I sure would like to see a pic of your gun.

TGW
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts