My dang kid is showing me up!

I hear that, 2.3 wanted to try to shoot gumballs at 100m. I set myself up for about 1 in 3 and didn't want to blow a ton of ammo on it so set one up for her for the first try last week.
5F6EF2A8-23BE-433B-A312-414CFA2B825E.jpeg

4AD62015-C679-4DC5-8427-1EFE0883DC2A.jpeg

8DF613BF-55BB-41E2-860D-82D8B8C9FD48.jpeg

View attachment 192723

Took my 10 year old son out shooting this morning and I'm pretty dang sure that he has surpassed me in the shooting department ;). He has never shot to 1000 yards before so I decided since it was his rifle(7mm Sherman MAX) that I would let him verify the drop at 1000 yards. Set up the steel and went back and ranged it and it read out at 1003 yards. We have not shot to 1000 with this rifle yet sowe needed to verify the drop first. The kestrel showed 22.5 MOA of elevation was needed. The wind was blowing at 2mph from our 6 o clock which made it really nice! He got down prone and got set up and let one fly. It was about a half minute low but dead on for wind. I then explained to him what we needed to do and had him move a 1/2 minute up. He got back down and hit one dead center. He then proceeded to hit the 10" circle 3 more times for his 4 shot group at 1003 yards. I'm pretty sure he has or is about to surpass me. Couldn't be happier for him!
Amazing shooting kid! Well done.

I said this in another thread recently but this reminded me of a conversation I had with my wife the other day: I have no interest in pushing my own interests on my kids - they don't have to like shooting and hunting and such....HOWEVER...I have two sons and my wife is carrying twins at the moment and I said to her, "they don't have to like hunting but at this rate they will either go hunting with dad or accept being vegetarians because I'm not buying meat for a family of 6 carnivores from the store!!!!"

View attachment 192723

Took my 10 year old son out shooting this morning and I'm pretty dang sure that he has surpassed me in the shooting department ;). He has never shot to 1000 yards before so I decided since it was his rifle(7mm Sherman MAX) that I would let him verify the drop at 1000 yards. Set up the steel and went back and ranged it and it read out at 1003 yards. We have not shot to 1000 with this rifle yet sowe needed to verify the drop first. The kestrel showed 22.5 MOA of elevation was needed. The wind was blowing at 2mph from our 6 o clock which made it really nice! He got down prone and got set up and let one fly. It was about a half minute low but dead on for wind. I then explained to him what we needed to do and had him move a 1/2 minute up. He got back down and hit one dead center. He then proceeded to hit the 10" circle 3 more times for his 4 shot group at 1003 yards. I'm pretty sure he has or is about to surpass me. Couldn't be happier for him!
outstanding Sir

Thanks everyone. I am very proud of him. He already has two cow elk under his belt (1 at 9 years old and the other at 10 years old) so he has been supplying the meat for us.

He has a youth deer hunt this year where he can shoot either a coues deer or a mule deer so he is very excited about that. Will be his first deer hunt ever.

Ya, I'm with ya!! I'll be honest, I enjoy shooting more when I'm spotting for my daughter than when I'm actually shooting, great times!!
It's always fun to take your kids to a public range and watch the faces around as they put a shooting clinic on the long range steel.

View attachment 192723

Very well done, young man!

View attachment 192723

That's super awesome!

Great job kids. Even better that the parents get them out and shoot. Young eyes and the kids do not over analyze what they are doing. They just shoot. Why do you think other countries don't want any part of the USA, when we had children that can do this. Beware, and God Bless the USA.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.