Here's a rundown of my Components:
BAT HR with integral Picitanny Rail
Krieger CM 9.5 twist, #4 Contour, Finish @ 26"
Muscle Mini-Mag Brake
Jewel trigger
Wyatts Extended Mag Box
PTG Aluminum BM
Precision Stock Works Rifleman Stock, McMillan Edge technology
The barrel and brake were to have been sent out for Melonite treatment.

Since my hunting in Alaska is backpack hunting, I lean to reduce weight while maintaining acceptable LRH accuracy. Thus the lighter contour barrel finished at 26", and the lightweight McMillan Edge stock.

I've been planning to shoot bullets in the 210 to 230gr weight range. The 215 Berger is getting some positive coverage. Elkaholic reported good MV from his 28" Krieger barrel using RL-33 with 230gr Bergers. I chose the 9.5 twist rate to help ensure bullet stability with bullets up to 230gr.

I have some of Elkaholic's 190gr SXR bullets, home-brewed with the Al tips. They were very accurate in my 300 Win Mag, and I've used them on game out of my .300 Win Mag. I think Rich finally received his new Corbin bullet making dies. Given time, I expect he'll home-brew some heavier SXR bullets, especially now that he's getting such good MV with RL-33.

Here's a rundown of my Components:
BAT HR with integral Picitanny Rail
Krieger CM 9.5 twist, #4 Contour, Finish @ 26"
Muscle Mini-Mag Brake
Jewel trigger
Wyatts Extended Mag Box
PTG Aluminum BM
Precision Stock Works Rifleman Stock, McMillan Edge technology
The barrel and brake were to have been sent out for Melonite treatment.

Since my hunting in Alaska is backpack hunting, I lean to reduce weight while maintaining acceptable LRH accuracy. Thus the lighter contour barrel finished at 26", and the lightweight McMillan Edge stock.

I've been planning to shoot bullets in the 210 to 230gr weight range. The 215 Berger is getting some positive coverage. Elkaholic reported good MV from his 28" Krieger barrel using RL-33 with 230gr Bergers. I chose the 9.5 twist rate to help ensure bullet stability with bullets up to 230gr.

I have some of Elkaholic's 190gr SXR bullets, home-brewed with the Al tips. They were very accurate in my 300 Win Mag, and I've used them on game out of my .300 Win Mag. I think Rich finally received his new Corbin bullet making dies. Given time, I expect he'll home-brew some heavier SXR bullets, especially now that he's getting such good MV with RL-33.

Spoke with Corbin today and should have my tip insert punches soon, then the HEAVIES!.......rich

Sounds great Paul! Seems very similar to Rich's build.

Yes, similar to Rich's rifle. I communicated with Rich prior to ordering parts. I ordered the same BAT action that Rich used, and had it Melonite treated - as he had done. My barrel contour and length, and rifle stock, differ and were selected in the effort to keep weight to the point where I could pack my rifle around in the mountains without cussing it out every 50 yds. :)

Last edited:
The 338 Lapua AI wont be going far from the truck! How heavy can you make a .308 bullet with your new dies?

Might have to convince Rhian to put a 1:9" twist on his 30/338 lapua so he can shoot those 270s. Man, that would have ridiculous ballistics.

Would Riley's 1-9" stabilize it? Is a tighter twist barrel available if needed? How many bullets to make it worthwhile?gun):D

I THINK you would need an 8 twist, but haven't done the math. I'm not sure there are enough bullets to make it worthwhile, but I might consider it anyway?:D

Worthwhile is a funny thing. Maybe a group effort of the curious to spread the load around at some point. If you get that curious let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.