My dad needs an Elk

Nosler26

Hello,
My dad would like to go Elk hunting this fall and I have never Elk hunted before. I know nothing about it. He has no points so it seems like I may end up taking him to Co. with the masses. lol That's ok, I don't mind that.

My question is, would anyone be willing to share some info regarding a decent area for a small to average bull or even a cow or two?

My dad is in good health, very capable. But he has a friend who has survived lung cancer and will struggle with high altitude and will need some assistance. I can do that. But I don't know where to take these to old timers. Again, these two are not trophy hunters by any means, just a bucket list thing. I wont be hunting but will be the Chauffeur, spotter and the pack mule for my dad's buddy. I can afford a reasonable amount for something in the lines of a trespass fee of sorts or land owner tags (if there is such a thing) But I am not wealthy and will be paying the bill here so........yeah, the cheaper the better for me. But top priority is to show these two a good time and maybe get their hands bloody. Any thought's?

Left over cow tags are a good possible in WY. They go on sale with a first come first serve. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/HUNTING-1000153.aspx Getting the elk is going to be the challenge. You might look into an outfitter that specializes in this type of hunt. I can't seem to come up with a sure thing on the East side of the state. Phone calls, and more calls.
I know one over in the Mateatse area, if you go with that option.

There's a small family outfitter in Colorado who specializes in hunts for the disabled.

Try a google search, I cannot remember their names but I saw a show on the Outdoor Channel that featured a hunt with them.

You might even be able to find it searching around on the ODC website.

What state do you live in. I am in Idaho. Would be able to help if you plan on hunting this state. Idaho has over the counter tags for out of staters.
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.