My Cheap Accurate Build... and a new Value Formula

elkhunt58

I decided to see how accurate a rifle I could build on the cheap. I bought a Thompson Center Compass (6.5 Creedmoor) at Cabela's the other day for $250, bought an older Bushnell 3200 4x12x40 at a pawn shop for $150, paid $12 for 1" Weaver quad lock rings at Walmart, ordered a M70 trigger spring for $9 and bought a muzzle brake off of amazon for $20. So I am into this rifle for $441. I put it on paper a couple weeks ago without the muzzle brake. I installed the muzzle brake and today I took it to the range with a box of factory Hornady 143gr. Eld-X and fired 10 rounds. The first 5 shot group was .74" (CTC) and my second 5 shot group was .516" (CTC) both at 100 yards. I quit while I was ahead.

So here's my new formula... Total Cost of Rifle (everything attached) x size of group = VPI (value per inch, low number wins). So applying this formula to this rifle it's $441 x .516= 228. The VPI is 228. Had I paid $1000 my VPI would be 516. So a $1000 rifle would have to shoot a .228" group to be of the same value as my $441 rifle.

Needless to say, I am impressed with this TC Compass! I look forward to stretching it out in the future.
IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

Last edited:
interesting formula, i'll have to try that out on my next build.

i have that same brake from amazon on my 6.5 creed right now. that's a VPI of it's own.

I think this is a decent way to look at standard hunting rifles that are meant to be used in hunting conditions under 300-400 yards. I think 200 yard groups would be a more defining way to judge accuracy also. I would say you would want to know the accuracy from your standard field shooting prone position (not off a bench) and would want an average of 5, 5 shot groups. Reason is you hear all over the Internet (not from the OP) that a gun is a 1/2 or 1/4 minute gun after they had one out of 40 groups do that. Sorry that's not a 1/4 min gun when it can only do it 1 out of 40 times.

I wish there was a standardized test that one could administer to themselves for shooting proficiency at mid to longer ranges and a shooting proficiency test for say "long range mountain hunting!"

That would be fun.

I think this is a decent way to look at standard hunting rifles that are meant to be used in hunting conditions under 300-400 yards. I think 200 yard groups would be a more defining way to judge accuracy also. I would say you would want to know the accuracy from your standard field shooting prone position (not off a bench) and would want an average of 5, 5 shot groups. Reason is you hear all over the Internet (not from the OP) that a gun is a 1/2 or 1/4 minute gun after they had one out of 40 groups do that. Sorry that's not a 1/4 min gun when it can only do it 1 out of 40 times.

I wish there was a standardized test that one could administer to themselves for shooting proficiency at mid to longer ranges and a shooting proficiency test for say "long range mountain hunting!"

That would be fun.
For sure my scope (and old eyes) will let me down much beyond 200yds. I am hoping to shoot this rifle off of sand bags, it might do even better. These groups were shot off one of those stepped up 2x8" arrangements covered in 1970's shag carpet. I will shoot 200 next time... might not be pretty.

For sure my scope (and old eyes) will let me down much beyond 200yds. I am hoping to shoot this rifle off of sand bags, it might do even better. These groups were shot off one of those stepped up 2x8" arrangements covered in 1970's shag carpet. I will shoot 200 next time... might not be pretty.

I think your doing awesome. I guess all I was getting at was pretty similar to what you were doing but only a little more standardized and at longer ranges. I think having a defined standard would make things more fun! Keep it up.

Awesome! Can you tell me if the threaded area has enough area to mount a suppressor up against the shoulder? Do you have a link for the muzzle brake? One of these TC is on my "I need list" for the exact reasons you have mentioned. Thanks

I like the formula!! perhaps the best way to get a consistent accuracy, is an average of 3-5 shot groups, that should give you a great idea of what accuracy to expect from any given rifle!! Maybe I will shoot a few 5 shot groups with my rifle next time I'm out....

But what do you guys think on cost of a rebuilt rifle? Do you count the cost of the original rifle?? I originally purchased the rifle for $580, put a couple thousand rounds through it, then I had it rebarreled with a $375 krieger, had a bolt knob installed, had the action trued, payed the smith $525 for the work, bought a $275 B&C stock that I modified, painted, and bedded, $138 for trigger, $225 for bottom metal, then a $25 base, $20 rings, $425 scope, $65 brake and $90 for smith install....That makes $2,163 for rifle rebuild, but if you count cost of the original rifle it is $2,743. The rifle regularly shoots in the .2's, and on good days in the .1's. So on a good day, mine values at 274.3, and on average around 685.75!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.