my buck got jacked

A few questions come to mind....

#1: What does this guy do? I mean, does he drive around looking for hunters and then lay in wait for them to take the shot. And then just drive up to harvest the animal....

#2: How does he do it? His method of hunting is quite good... Pick a hunter, know that he's going to get an animal, and then take it from them. {His method works better then mine, I sit, wait, wait some more, wait some more, not see anything, get out of the tree stand, go back to camp and sit by the burn barrel}

With the luck this guy has of just finding deer everywhere, he should have bought a few lottery tickets!

Courts will find him guilty, but since the system is so full of crackheads and such. He'll probably get set loose with just a warning and no fines.... And your deer is still gone. Stinks, but it'll probably go down like that.......sorry for your loss.

Scott

Ah, the system worked, imagine that. :cool:

If the Game Wardens are like here, they will get a search warrant for his property and look for evidence of other poached deer. The freezer is always a good place to look.

I am glad they caught the scumbag, I hope they make an example of him.

If you can hit a deer at 880yds , you should have no problem hitting a radiator. Trucks can't travel but so far and then you drive up to them and offer a 'helping hand'. He'll have no idea that you were the shooter and you get his name and tag # and he get's to buy a new radiator. Turns into an expensive deer for him.
hahaa good one!

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago while hunting with my son.

My first instinct was to put a round through there motor but decided I was not a good
example to set for my son so I loaded up as quick as I could and tried to find the idiots.

I was not successful and still had a large dose of adrenaline racing through me and in a
way I was glad I didn't.

So I tried to explain to my son how things have a way of coming around to those that
do stupid stuff and turn the bad experience into a lesson in life.

I then decided to wash my hands of the whole matter and take my son out for a good
lunch and forget about it.

Then the oddest thing happened on the way to the restaurant, I passed a convenience store
and there was the truck and 3 idiots standing around the bed admiring my deer.

Knowing where the game warden lived (Very close to there location) I explained to my
son what I was going to do and why.

I was lucky and he was home. After telling him what happened he jumped in his truck and
tore off to the store to confront them.

When I arrived he was writing them a large ticket and explaining to them why he was taking
there guns and the deer.

I told my son to stay in the truck and calmly went about filling up my truck with gas while
listening to the *** eating they were getting.

After loading up his truck with the deer and there guns the warden drove off .

While they were dishing the warden I had to ask the three idiots what the problem was and
one said they forgot to tag the deer and though the warden had been to harsh with them.

So at that point I had to say that I understood that they were so busy stealing the deer that
there was not enough time to tag it and that if my son had not been with me the outcome
would have been much worse.

Now, they were definitely confused, as I drove off with a huge grin and my son was laughing
I think they finally got it. (I never saw that truck near my lease again).

Now it was time to go and eat that dinner I promised my son and while passing the wardens
house he was out side so I decided to stop and thank him.

He said with the loss of there rifles, the fine, and the replacement fee for the deer($3800.00)
that they would remember this for a long time.

He also thanked me for not taking things in to my own hands and letting him Handel it, and
told my son that his dad did the right thing. (I would have still liked to deal out a *** whooping)
but sometimes we have to do the best thing for the future hunters of this world.

Anyway as they say "What goes around comes around"

PS: A year later the game warden came to our deer camp and gave my son the 12 point rack
and said he saved it for us.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Am I the only one surprised by some of the ridiculous responses to this post?

First of all who here is qualified to tell him if that was the appropriate thing to tell his son? I dont know about you guys but my dad took the time to raise a man, sounds like this guys doing the same. And ethics? I am pretty sure its in the forum rules that subject is not to be brought up.

Then someone said what if he gets shot??.. Maybe I am alone here but i dont avoid anything because I am afraid of being shot. In fact if someone pulls a gun on me he better be serious cause im about smoke a couple through his chest!

This guy has my backing 100% and the rest of you who live in fear and live in a wonderland and think ethics apply in every situation, maybe this isn't the place for you. I vote you find that guy and stomp a hole in him, With your son watching. Thats a lesson well taught!

Man this story hits home. My first deer got jacked by some jerk down by Blanding Utah. It's been many years so I can't remember too much about it but I remember my dad saying to the guy, "can we please have our deer. it's just a doe and it's this boy's first deer" He just said to go find another one and he had to finish this one off so it's his. I think it hurt my dad more than me.

I guess they are not taking his pickup just has to pay a hefty fine. He did not have firearms in the pickup so they are not taking any. I think he will be at it again

I have to add my story. I was very young at the time this happend, I was on a private farm with only family allowed to hunt. It was Thanksgiving Day and I was out hunting as soon as the meal was over. I stalked up on a 6 point and had take a tough shot as he was behind a tree. I took the shot and backed out till I could get some help. I went back told my Grandfather exactly where the deer was hit and he went back to help. We tracked the Deer right to a guy dressing him???? This guy came in about 2 miles from the river on Thanksgiving Day thinking no one would be there. My Grandfather didn't say a word. I asked the guy what he was doing, he said I shot the heart out of this deer. I lifted the back leg up and there was the hole exactly where I called the shot. (NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE HEART). Grandfather still hadn't said a word, I told the guy after showing the hole that my bullet put in him that he better get to dragging because it is a long way back to the river. The guy didn't know what to say, the funny thing was my Grandfather didn't either. I turned and walked off. It might not always end up as you like but you can still stand up for yourself without letting things get out of hand.

Glad this one turned out.

Of note, if any of you fire a round at another person, the district attorney will file felony charges on you....even if you don't hit what you are aiming at. There are several that could be filed.

Don't need to go into the discussion of what a felony on your record means.

Welcome to the sport of long range hunting. Unfortunately we are not always able to take immediate possession of our harvest. Written communications is a lot like long range hunting.

Welcome to the sport of long range hunting. Unfortunately we are not always able to take immediate possession of our harvest. Written communications is a lot like long range hunting.

I have been hunting long range for over 20 years now and this is the first and last time it will happen. Unless they can run real fast with a deer on their back because they will not have a vehicle left to drive off in. All the time, money, and practice I have invested in LR hunting over the years I figure its an equal trade.

I'm glad the dirtbags got caught. Too bad they didn't take the truck and the guns but that is still going to be some mighty expensive venison with the fine not to mention the criminal record. Best of luck on your future hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.