My Boys Want a Lever Action

I have experience with varitity of lever guns. my favorite was Winchester model 88.past from my dad in .308 this got my first deer.these were very good guns w/no hammer to cock. came out near 1952.alomg w/.calibers .243,.284,.308,&.358 all winchester's calibers. probably hard to find,but much more modern, flatter hunting rounds.I owned 2 over the years,both .308. a .243 would be great for a young shooter.alswo scope mounting was over center of the barrel that old levers could not do. one more was a Sako Finwolf. that to was in .243,308. no hammer & crossbolt safety was fast to action also. those were hand checkered wood making them valued collecter rifles today!! my Savage .303&.308 were fine also.now my power lever was a .444 Marlin, great for anything that we hunt here! wish I had my dad's model 71 in .348 win.!! would have made it a moose-bear .450!!

One thing with Henry is you have to be careful which model. Some are painted, not blued (at least the receiver). Never had one but have friends with them.

I have been reading about some quality control issues with Marlin after Remington took over. Significant problems. Henry might be the way to go.
Remington went bankrupt but before that happened they were turning out some incredible leverguns from their custom shop. There were definitely some serious hiccups along the way, but they got it right.
Ruger owns them now and supposedly will have Marlin rifles back on store shelves other this fall. I don't think we (levergun fans) could ask for a more all American company to take over the Marlin legacy.
I dislike the top load feature and flashy brass receiver of the Henry, but they're supposedly good rifles too.

That should've said shoot off the next round in front of them, in the magazine.
From Hammer bullet's website description of this specific bullet. Honest concern but be sure of the comment being applicable to a specific bullet in which this case it is not true.
"This bullet is designed specifically for 30-30 lever action rifles with tube feed magazine." LINK: Hammer Lever Bullet

With a Marlin 36,336,1894 you can easily pull the bolt and clean from the breach.Scopes are easily mounted as they are side eject and they are easily worked on.I have adjusted all my Marlins to a 2 1/2 pound trigger pull by polishing the sear and re bending the trigger pull spring.Marlin made millions of these rifles and they still can be found at a reasonable price.The Marlin Owners Forums have a wealth of knowledge that they are happy to share.

Wild West Guns sells the "Happy Trigger" for all center fire Marlins. I purchased one for one if my 1885 Marlins. It did help the trigger pull by a lot. It also makes the rifle quieter by stopping the trigger flop sound. They are relatively easy to install.

I never viewed a lever as safe for a beginner!! When unloading you have to cycle rounds thru the chamber. Much too dangerour for a beginner in my opinion. A bolt where you take out the chambered round and remove a clip is what I setup for my youngsters!!

I have a lovely Browning .243 my father gave me over 35 years ago when I was a kid. Wood stock. Excellent rifle... shoots well. I've passed it on to my son who's killed a few deer with it now. Definitely something worth considering.

I never viewed a lever as safe for a beginner!! When unloading you have to cycle rounds thru the chamber. Much too dangerour for a beginner in my opinion. A bolt where you take out the chambered round and remove a clip is what I setup for my youngsters!!
Not true. My Browning lever has a detachable clip. Just remove the clip and cock the lever to extract the chambered round.
Extra level of safety -- in order to shoot the hammer must be cocked. Nice feature.

You didn't say what your son would be hinting. I have '94, '86, '85, '92, 336's, Savage 300 and had an old Browning BLR. They're all fine.
For big stuff 45-90 or 45-70.
The 300 save for deer the 336's and the '94 depending on type or terrain.
my JM stamped 336's are just as good as the Remington Marlins.
my '94 is the handiest, quick pointing for deer
My '92 is a great small game rifle.
I suppose for deer out to 300 yards I'd pick my 300 Savage (I no longer own a BLR). But the BLR in the right cartridge would be best for long range game up to and including elk.

have marlin 30/30. have marlin 356. have Glenfield 30/30. have browning bar in 30/06. marlin will do a great job if that's what you want. all of ours have been completely reliable. and accurate given the platform

have 2 336 marlins. 1 in 30/30 one in 356 win. have a Glenfield 30/30 and a browning bar in 30/06. the marlins are very reliable and relatively accurate for the platform. we have harvested many animals with them and although I usually shoot a bolt gun,, I still like to take them out sometimes. my son still prefers his to his bolt gun.

So, they are a bit on the pricey side, but Brownings shoot GREAT and look cool too. I went with a BLR 308 because I needed a saddle gun that would reach a little, and it has much more pleasant recoil than a 30-30. Now Henry makes box magazine lever guns similar to the BLRs, and a friend of mine took his in a creedmore to 600 yds on a paper plate. His army buddy I guess took it a bit farther.