My Boys Want a Lever Action

I killed my first deer with my first new gun, A Marlin 336c in 30-30 back in the 70's. Played with it over the years before I stepped up to the Rem Mod 700 270. I killed a lot of deer with it. I had everything mounted on it from tip off mounts, regular mounts high rise see through mounts and of course open sights. When I quit fooling with it I was shooting 1 in groups with reloads??? I thought pretty good out of that little rifle. Well as we all do sometimes, I sold it. Dont know why or to who but have been kicking myself ever since.
I went to a gun show a few years back and saw a 336cs in 35 rem and bought it. Just the closest thing I had seen in a while like I had, a little newer with the cross safety. I think the 35 rem is a better round anyway. I thought It would make a good hog gun. So far Ive had open sights, Peep sights, 1-6 scope, red dot, and so far havent fired it!!
I would recommend the 336 in 30-30 or 35 rem if you can find one if nothin else but for the scope option. The 94 Winchester is of course a fine weapon as well. I have that gun in a NRA centennial musket and a rifle both in 30-30 and of course unfired with boxes.
I would buy either of these that you could find because they will never loose value and they are good shooters as well. Dont know anything about the newer ones though.
After all, Its all about the Memories!!

Yes.

And never look back.
And,. IN,.. .44 Magnum !
The .357 AIN'T "enough" for Deer,.. UN-less, CLOSE and, the .45-70's RECOIL, will beat them, to Death !
Trust Me, on the .45-70's Recoil ( with the Heavier Bullets ) as, I HAD one !
An 1895 Marlin, Great smooth Gun and shot "well",.. but had, a Heavy Trigger pull so,.. sold it !
Might let, the 14 year old, "try",. a .30-30
But the recoil of, the .44 Mag. in a 7 pound, Henry is,.. "Nice" and Tame !
Do some Review Reading on YouTube about, the Henry .44

Last edited:
If ya can't tell the difference, a Henry would do, but if ya know a bit more, only the Marlin will work. Those ages,a Marlin 39A to learn with and gain some knowledge. Then a Marlin 1894 in 41mag or 44mag for deer. Marlin 336 in 30-30, all good. 50's era or earlier Winchesters and their 94's and others are still the stuff that works!! Savage 99 sweet rig too.

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Are Marlin 336s worth a dang anymore with Remington going belly up?

Should I get a Henry?
I can strongly endorse the Henry .22 LR. My son has one and loves it.
I think .22 cal is a great way to start because the recoil is minimal and ammo is cheap.
(You may even be able to find it these days.)

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Should I get a Henry?
have all of them myself, i would go with browning,mainly for tbe caliber choices, and i believe higher quality over some others

Ok, this thread has me wanting to shoot the old Lever again but thought it would be interesting to update its performance. So ordering Hammers!
LINK: Hammer Lever 143

I bet these will upgrade its range.
I've got some of those Hammers on the way for my custom 30-30AI and am expecting to sling them along at ~2600fps in my little Marlin. I can't wait to hunt with it this fall! =)

have all of them myself, i would go with browning,mainly for tbe caliber choices, and i believe higher quality over some others
addendm here, this is assuming you are looking for a hunting rifle, where shots may be ober 100 yds on medium and big game

I have a Marlin 36 with the microgroove barrel, made in the early 60's. Shoots any ammo you feed it except for Hornady Leverevloution. Those bullets keyhole at 50 yards in mine.

Should I get a Henry?
I don't know about new ones. but find an old one there like tanks

Those old Marlin 36s look a lot like their 1894s. I had an 1894 Cowboy in .44 mag and like a dummy I sold it to my boss for his wife. She just loves it and takes it everywhere on their farm. She's dispatched many a groundhog and a few deer with it as well a a couple coyotes.

Those old Marlin 36s look a lot like their 1894s. I had an 1894 Cowboy in .44 mag and like a dummy I sold it to my boss for his wife. She just loves it and takes it everywhere on their farm. She's dispatched many a groundhog and a few deer with it as well a a couple coyotes.
I gave my good friend a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag along with a S&W Model 29 4" I carried to Alaska. They didn't have anything for protection and I wanted them to have a couple of "fast shooters".

My first deer rifle (1973)was a 94 30-30. It's now my truck gun.. Next a Rem. pump 30-06, then Winchester 70 in 7 mag. the first gun for me that shot 1 inch groups (with premium ammo). That covered my first 20 years hunting deer and elk in Oregon. One day I picked up a Savage 99 featherweight in 308 that fit me like a glove. It also shoots 1 inch groups with premium ammo. About 10 years ago I happened on a lightweight BLR in 325 WSM that seemed like it should come with me elk hunting. Since I don't handload ammo is tricky to find for it. The 325's first elk was with win. silvertip 220 gr. On a 40 yd. broadside ribcage shot the elk dropped in it's tracks, but it did have 2 bullet holes in off-side. The bullet must have seperated. I now only use premium ammo in the .325. 2 inch groups should never be a problem on elk or bears. I also have a model 92 clone in 454 cassull that I sometimes carry as a brush gun (to compliment my raging bull revolver and TC Encore that sometimes get to hunt). I do have about a dozen other rifles (pump, bolt, and single-shot, but I usually hunt with the levers. I can recommend lever guns.