My Boys Want a Lever Action

My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Are Marlin 336s worth a dang anymore with Remington going belly up?

Should I get a Henry?
Here is a Marlin 336 that my dad Bought in 1954. Nothing to do with Remington. THIS IS A REAL LEVER ACTION! It is a 32 Special and took several deer, but only has about 80 shots -MAX through it. Still have an original box of ammo. Back in the day we only took a few shots to make sure it it a pie plate off hand at 75yards and then only shot it if we saw a deer. No need to waste ammo-it wasn't for target practice only for taking game. Been sitting in a closet and then my safe for 50 years. I take all my non used firearms out every six months and run a patch through the bore and clean with G-96. This one is Pristine and can be used for Deer, Bear, Moose, Enormous HOGS
If you are luck enough of get an older Marlin for your BOYS they would be very LUCKY Indeed!!! If you can get an older Pre 64 Winchester Model 94 30-30 that would be great too, but you can't beat these older MARLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I added a Williams Peep Sight probably 30 years ago, with the intention to shoot hogs, but never shot it due to more modern rifles. I have the original sites.
PM us if you want more pictures.

Len & Jill

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
My 11 and 14 year old learned about lever actions in their hunter safety training.

Are Marlin 336s worth a dang anymore with Remington going belly up?

Should I get a Henry?
Vintage Marlins used to be available for a song in most pawn shops across the country but since the gun buying frenzy of 2020 began, followed closely by the "tactical" lever revolution and lastly Remington going belly up.... they're really EXPENSIVE these days!
If you can find a well cared for vintage Marlin, you couldn't do much better in my opinion. I love my vintage, custom Marlins.

Attachments

• FA83DD72-EFEB-4C3F-8357-350C3E2E9219.jpeg
    FA83DD72-EFEB-4C3F-8357-350C3E2E9219.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 78
Yeah I kept my Marlin Century Limited III because every red blooded American boomer should have at least one American lever action. I wouldn't turn my nose up to any push button safety lever gun either. I was once guilty of doing that because it didn't fit the traditional lever action rifle look. But now I find it highly functional, much like a pump action shotgun safety. If you ever take a "tactical shotgun" course then the safety transfers over. Just my two cents worth.

I got a Taylor's ridge runner takedown 45-70 a few years ago and love the heck out of it.

A couple things to note, a lot of new levers shoot the Hornady leverevolution very well but it's spendy. They seem to be trying to push them flatter/further.

I recently started reloading for mine and have a good spot at 200 yds out.

The ruger are rated for higher pressure, which gives higher velocity, and my personal opinion is people want bottleneck performance. The ruger is a great lever action,

The Taylor's i have is made by Chiappa and shoots great.

I shoot 405 gr and they drop like a rock after 200yds, but if a T Rex steps in my path they are getting a hardcast bullet with some knockout power.

couple quick questions . I know Ruger bought Marlin but I thought they have not started manufacturing them yet? Are the larger caliber Henry' receivers steel or cast forged alloy? Side note I inherited my dad's 30-30 1953 model 94. What a hoot I have had with that. Used 94's are not that bad priced on the used market compared to the new ones. Never meet a Marlin 336 owner that didn't love it.

couple quick questions . I know Ruger bought Marlin but I thought they have not started manufacturing them yet? Are the larger caliber Henry' receivers steel or cast forged alloy? Side note I inherited my dad's 30-30 1953 model 94. What a hoot I have had with that. Used 94's are not that bad priced on the used market compared to the new ones. Never meet a Marlin 336 owner that didn't love it.

Take a look at reloading info. Your get generally 3 level of pressure and need to know where yours fits. I may be off so apologies, but something like: Modern high pressure, modern, and trapdoor.

This occurs for the 45-70, but not sure on the other calibers

Might I add, a lever action isn't normally a long range tool, but they are fun!

I shoot my 45-70 and a 30-30 regularly just because I have them :). They ar certainly capable of reaching out should someone spend the time with them.

I have a 30-30 lever action which I really like but I want at least two more. A 22 LR and a 45-70. It is what I like to use when I teach young and new firearm users. The first shows you how much fun it can be, and the second, how serious business firearms are. Not that 45-70 is not fun, but thekick with steel butt plate let's you know it is serious.