my best 7 mag load ever

OKIE2

this is the smallest group I have ever shot in my life with any of the 21 calibers I shoot.
.068 3 shot group
savage7mag139sst.jpg

this has not had pillers or glass bedded completly as come from factory bought used other than stock and scope and brake. I did install a .040 spring wire for lighter trigger.
SAVAGE7MAG.jpg

Last edited:
That is some fine shooting! I was fortunate to do the same thing with a 7mag but I used Btips. Hope you have LOTS of bullets, powder, and primers from the same lot #s.

last week i shot a .112 with 69 grains of h-4831 and a 140 accubond. not my smallest group ever but the smallest from a factory barrel. a rem 700 adl ( manufactured 1968) with a 6-24 bushnell elite.

I have found Hornady bullets to be just as good as Noslers and a lot cheaper.
I used to shoot nothing but Nosler until they went to the 50 per box.
now the only Noslers I buy is 6mm 70 grain and 25 caliber 85 grain both B-tips and they are 100 per box.

okie,
the noslers went to 50 per box for a reason, the bullet was changed, any nosler BT packed 50 per box is designed to hunt med game, they changed the bullet from the thin jacketed cup/core design to the exact makeup as the discontinued solid base boattail, only with a polymer tip, the varmint weight bullets are still packaged 100/250 per box.
BTW I also shot my best group this fall on 11/15 with a 6.5 gibbs running a 140 berger at 3160 fps, seated .030 off the lands, the group measured .34" at the range of 752 yards, yeah its a freak, way better than I can shoot but I did it once and I'm keepin it!
RR

Interesting about Hornady. I've never been able to get them to shoot less than an inch group in any rifle with any test load.

OKIE/DEREK- I normaly shoot 139 horn with 69 of h-4831 for 3/4 inch groups or a little less. i had the accubonds so i tried them. interestingly enough. i did not shoot them out of the norma brass i have for that 7mm. i shot them out of some rem brass i picked up off the range on a previous trip there. the gun is light a remington adl and does not have a brake. so the recoil to me is quite noticeable. roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.