My Bear

John,

I have 2 places i can shoot to 1000 yards, and another place that I might be able to shoot to 1500, I still have to find out who owns that piece of land, I'll be home from college easter weekend, If you not tied up that weekend maybe we can get together and do some shooting.

Nice bear Deergrunt!

Any idea what it weighed?

Rob
smile.gif

Rob,
Dressed weight was 185 pounds. That was with the scale the DEC used. When I was dragging him out of the woods he felt more like 185,000 lbs. I thought that they would find my body next to his the way my heart was pounding. I don't have a quad. Yet!!!!
grin.gif

I dont have a quad either, so far my wife aint budgen on the $$$ for me to get one!

My first bear I shot was a few years ago and I was not exactly prepaired. I was grouse hunting by myself,lucky for me I did have my hunting rifle with me.

I did run into a nice fella who did help me drag him to my pickup.I wont forget that experiance any time soon! Hard to believe how hard it is to drag a bunch of hair covered lard out of the woods!
grin.gif

Rob

nice bear deergrunt .notice you used a rem vls i am going on a spring bear hunt in may and i want to use my new vls 308 . obviosly it got the job done for you what is you're opinnion on how the 308 sized up against a large potentialy dangerous animal did you recover any bullets and what was there condition .any body else care to chime in on there experiences whith this caliber on bears .lastly deergrunt what was you're range of the shot
cheers jaeger

H-Bar,

Your about 2 hours drive from me, I'll hopefully be doing some 1000 yard shooting on april 10, if i can get permission, I'll talk to the guy this weekend, If you want to come up and shoot your more than welcome, as for official ranges, the only 1000 yard one i know of is Forbes Rifle Range in Albany.

Brian

Yes I know of Forbes. They are almost impossible to join. I never get calls back from the people that run it. I would like to join because it is only 1.5Hrs. from my house. About the 10th keep me posted if you have permission I may be able to go. I need to test my new bench gun out for long range.

Canjaeger,
The 308 Win. is a powerful round. There are better rounds out there for dangerous game. I am recoil sensitive that is why I love the 308. I not the greatest shot in the world, but the 308 Win is an easy gun to shoot accurately and to load for. Ask the members at this site and most of them will tell you the same thing, "I love my 308". I shot the bear three times. I'm sure the first shot killed him, just behind the shoulder. After the first shot he ran toward a thick swamp. Not wanting to track a wounded bear in a thick swamp I shot two more times. I'm a deer hunter not a bear hunter. With the proper bullet and shot placement I think the 308 will work in most situations. Good luck with your spring bear hunt. Please post pictures.

H-bar- I went to the new Gander Mountain in Middletown today. I bought a new gun. (17HMR)
Give me a call.

Deergrunt, I was in middletown today and I also stopped into the Gander Mountain. I thought the place was unbelievable. The only problem is that they can't sell any gunpowders, so I still have to go elsewhere for my 777 pellets for my Muzzleloader.

thanks for the reply deergrunt i know what you meen about recoil i also shoot a guide gun 45-70 and with full house loads i find i think to much about the recoil as i'm pulling the trigger, with the 308 all i'm concentraiting on is the target
i will definetly post pics if i'm lucky
jaeger

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.