To Flute/turn down or not?

• No

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Tacos

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
My .260 shoots wonderfully, but the barrel is a bit too heavy to hunt with.

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.

If I can get it fluted without compromising accuracy I'd like to do so.

Realistically, How much weight can be removed?

Are there any East/ South East Smiths that are known for successfully turning down or fluting a Barrel?

There is a sponsor on here that is on the Left Coast, but I assume shipping back & forth would take the better part of 2 weeks.

I'd prefer to have this one fluted or turned, (whatever is possible), but if it will affect accuracy that's a no go for me: I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

Thoughts?
I had a friend have a barrel fluted after shooting it for three years trying to save weight gun still shot nickel groups at 200 I bought a Bartlein barrel from grizzly industry told the guy I wanted a sendero contour I got the barrel it was half again bigger it had the twist I wanted so I called bartlien they told me they didn't have what I wanted in Stock but they would turn my barrel to what ever I wanted said the do it all the time and if the barrel was going to shoot good it still would when they are done they charged me 60 dollars plus ShippING glad I had it done can't tell it had been touched shoots better than I can. David

I've seen a couple barrels move at fluting, I'm very picky what barrel I would flute and who I will use for fluting because you can have a guy just plow flutes in or you can have a guy who machines flutes. Many barrels are contoured in the middle of the process so any movement can be corrected in process, all barrels I can think of are finish lapped and inspected after finish contouring. Recontouring just don't get it for me, you cut real weight at order time or in length IMO!!
I second Twisted Barrels , quality work , fast turn around .

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.

Are there any East/ South East Smiths that are known for successfully turning down or fluting a Barrel?

There is a sponsor on here that is on the Left Coast, but I assume shipping back & forth would take the better part of 2 weeks.

I'd prefer to have this one fluted or turned, (whatever is possible), but if it will affect accuracy that's a no go for me: I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

Thoughts?
you want light weight or accuracy ??? if you want light weight get a 22. if you want to hit your target paper of LIVE keep the heavy barrel

I talk to a few of my barrel makers all the time and the complexities of building barrels is something to behold. As a 30 yr master gunsmith I can tell you I could not put forth any facts into this subject and feel like I'm doing it any justice do I won't. I do know I have discussed fluting barrels with them on many occasions and they all have their opinions too. In a nutshell here is my on this based on my observations and discussions with my barrel makers. First I need to break this in 2. Target rifles or extreme accuracy rifles and hunting rifles. I personally would not flute a precision Target barrel. Done on that side.
As far as hunting rifles go I have not seen fluting hurt accuracy one bit. I have never got a barrel back that didn't shoot. I put new ones on all the time and they still make my accuracy requirements. Big spiral flutes will reduce weight nicely. A 26 inch barrel in mag contour or sendero can be fluted to make the gun Ballance much better in the hands. Not so muzzle heavy. Customers like the way they look and it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. I use Twisted Barrel and his work is top notch for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to flute a barrel. Even one that already hammers. I'm mean look the op has one that hammers but it still not making him happy. I want to be happy with my equipment.
Shep

Thoughts?
OR you could ask your WIFE or Daughter to carry it for you.

with fluting or turning, you may take the chance that the material has inconsistencies and it could negatively affect accuracy--its a toss of the dice, usually it wont make a large difference BUT the best barrel manus profile and flute before the final barrel making process

personally, I think fluting can look nice, but it is mainly for looks in my eyes-I had 1 barrel that was spiral fluted when I bought it and I could never get great groups from it-- could be a fluke but Ive never had any other fluted barrels

if it shoots good now, id leave it alone
No fluke Sir....

My hunting rifle is 16lbs. I carry it while climbing around in the mountains. Thousands of feet of elevation gain, loss and re-gain. Very steep stuff.
If your rifle is "too heavy" the solution is not less rifle. The solution is more treadmill...…….

Apparently you don't get the meaning of "Work smarter, not harder"

There are 2 reasons for which I will not change or sell a rifle. One, if it's ridiculously accurate. Two, for sentimental reasons, e.g. great hunting memories. It sounds like yours is ridiculously accurate. I wouldn't touch it. In your case, I would put together a lightweight rifle with a stiff carbon wrapped barrel for suppressed hunting. I have a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC for just such a purpose. Just my opinion.

If you do decide to recontour your barrel, factor in the cost of refinishing - blueing, cerakoting, etc. and remember your current sock's barrel channel will have a larger gap. If that matters to you. To reduce your rifle's weight, have you considered all options? Stock, sling, scope/mounts, etc.?

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.