• No

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Tacos

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

hseII

My .260 shoots wonderfully, but the barrel is a bit too heavy to hunt with.

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.

If I can get it fluted without compromising accuracy I'd like to do so.

Realistically, How much weight can be removed?

Are there any East/ South East Smiths that are known for successfully turning down or fluting a Barrel?

There is a sponsor on here that is on the Left Coast, but I assume shipping back & forth would take the better part of 2 weeks.

I'd prefer to have this one fluted or turned, (whatever is possible), but if it will affect accuracy that's a no go for me: I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• D8172505-ABA7-408D-BFDD-017B23181B88.jpeg
    D8172505-ABA7-408D-BFDD-017B23181B88.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 311
with fluting or turning, you may take the chance that the material has inconsistencies and it could negatively affect accuracy--its a toss of the dice, usually it wont make a large difference BUT the best barrel manus profile and flute before the final barrel making process

personally, I think fluting can look nice, but it is mainly for looks in my eyes-I had 1 barrel that was spiral fluted when I bought it and I could never get great groups from it-- could be a fluke but Ive never had any other fluted barrels

if it shoots good now, id leave it alone

Last edited:
While I love the looks of a fluted barrel and own several, it is not an effective way to reduce weight.

Turning the barrel will achieve your desired effect and is a rather simple task for any qualified gunsmith.

Will turning your barrel adversely impact accuracy? You won't know until you try. In fact it is possible that it shoots better.

It wasn't that many years ago that the majority of barrels were shipped as an unturned blank. It was the job of the gunsmith to turn it to its final contour and add flutes if desired.

Having your barrel turned down is going to be a fraction of the cost of a new barrel along with having it chambered and fitted. Definitely worth a shot IMO.

Keep in mind that having the barrel turned may require new load tweaking if you are a reloader, as the barrel may no longer be in "tune"

I have a few fluted barrels.
Depending on contour, flute depth, number of flutes, and flute design, it will shave anywhere from 4 to 12 ounces.

I have a 26" Bartlein #3 w. 6 straight flutes that only saves 4oz from a non-fluted.
I have a 25.5" Bartlein #3b that is 6 flute slightly deeper spiral fluted that shaved 6oz.
I have a 28" Rock Creek "Sendero" that has 6 deep spiral flutes that shaved 11oz.

I sent a 24" varmint barrel off for fluting earlier this year, six 1/4" flutes took off 11 ounces. Could have stepped up to the next size flute, and he claimed pound savings.

I went with the 1/4', as it left basically the same width flutes and flats, which I felt looked better than more flute than flat showing.

I sent a 24" varmint barrel off for fluting earlier this year, six 1/4" flutes took off 11 ounces. Could have stepped up to the next size flute, and he claimed pound savings.

I went with the 1/4', as it left basically the same width flutes and flats, which I felt looked better than more flute than flat showing.

Anyone Recommend certain Smiths?

My .260 shoots wonderfully, but the barrel is a bit too heavy to hunt with.

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.
Thoughts?
Set the barrel back 3" and rechamber. Shorter barrels are stiffer, stiffer barrels shoot better. Note: My opinion is worth what you paid for it, but you asked...

I've seen a couple barrels move at fluting, I'm very picky what barrel I would flute and who I will use for fluting because you can have a guy just plow flutes in or you can have a guy who machines flutes. Many barrels are contoured in the middle of the process so any movement can be corrected in process, all barrels I can think of are finish lapped and inspected after finish contouring. Recontouring just don't get it for me, you cut real weight at order time or in length IMO!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.