To Flute/turn down or not?

• No

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Tacos

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
Same height, plus 25 #s and 2 years, and my go to rifle is a Weatherby Mk V 7 mm, with backups of 300 or a 6.5-300 Wby, all are 9.5 #s plus 26" barrels. I don't care about the weight, I want one shot and lights out.

If you really want a shorter barrel and suppressor, I would have the current one chopped to the length needed or better yet put the money toward the new barrel and suppressor. I wouldn't spend the money on the fluting, if you really want a suppressor in the end.
I've had the can longer than I've had this barrel.

If one shot is all it takes I haven't seen a gun yet that won't shoot one shot one hole groups if the man wants to lighten his gun he should do it its just if he can gain enough where it will help most of us would be better off if we wold go on a diet more so than shaving a pound on a gun. David

Some folks are past sixty and "bulking up" as someone suggested would take years. How much would that cost in the gym? What do they do in the meantime?

I am 5'7" 155 pound seventy-five year old and will be carrying a Weatherby titanium.

My son or my father might carry this one some: yes, I'd like for it to be a tic more portable.

It's hard to tell a 10 yr old or a 63 yr old diabetic to hit the treadmill more just to carry this rifle.

If you do decide to recontour your barrel, factor in the cost of refinishing - blueing, cerakoting, etc. and remember your current sock's barrel channel will have a larger gap. If that matters to you. To reduce your rifle's weight, have you considered all options? Stock, sling, scope/mounts, etc.?

Bob

That's a great point Bob.

Rather than use the 6 screw .50 cal mounts I had on hand, I purchased a pair of Seekins 30mm mounts to save a bit of weight.

I'm going to weigh the stock, scope, & barrel this weekend to see how things really stack up.

The sling is staying- after years of searching, I finally found one I like a few years ago in the Turner Saddlery Mil whatever.

My .260 shoots wonderfully, but the barrel is a bit too heavy to hunt with.

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.

If I can get it fluted without compromising accuracy I'd like to do so.

Realistically, How much weight can be removed?

Are there any East/ South East Smiths that are known for successfully turning down or fluting a Barrel?

There is a sponsor on here that is on the Left Coast, but I assume shipping back & forth would take the better part of 2 weeks.

I'd prefer to have this one fluted or turned, (whatever is possible), but if it will affect accuracy that's a no go for me: I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

Thoughts?
If I understand what your saying and trying to accomplish, how much weight do you expect to remove without compromising the safety and durability of a fine shooting rifle, of any caliber. If your looking for a lighter rifle you might try either a Weatherby Mark V or a Ruger Hawkeye. I have a WBY .340 Magnum and accuracy is superb. I believe they make a .270 in this model. Snipers in Vietnam had very good performance from the Winchester .270 and it was light weight. My Ruger .375 is a very light gun in that caliber and I would warn you, even with a factory brake this thing kicks like a Missouri mule. I firmly believe that Weatherby has the best brakes (Accumark) on the market. But to answer your question about the fluting,. You will not reduce the weight of that rifle significantly and be assured it will affect accuracy slightly.

Leave it alone! If you don't like it, sell it to someone that will appreciate it for what it is, a fine shooting accurate rifle. I can't believe that you honestly want to flute this barrel for 8-12 oz of weight. Give me a break. The rifles I have, the heavier the more i like them. I have 2 Winchester 30-30's, 26" octagon barrels. Both very accurate at 200 yds and a dream to shoot. They weigh between 10-11 lbs with scope. My Ruger Hawkeye .375 weighs between 7-8 lbs and kicks like Missouri mule, with a factory brake. If weight is your main concern you might take a look at either the Winchester .270 or a Weatherby .270 magnum. Both run in the neighborhood of 8-9 lbs.

It always cracks me up the guys who just think you need to get into shape when rifle weight comes up, I used to one of those guys, now every ounce adds yards to how far my ankle and knees will go, wish I would have worried about the weight I was carrying and using things like trekking poles when I was too tough for that stuff so now I could still go how I want to in my head!!!

If I understand what your saying and trying to accomplish, how much weight do you expect to remove without compromising the safety and durability of a fine shooting rifle, of any caliber. If your looking for a lighter rifle you might try either a Weatherby Mark V or a Ruger Hawkeye. I have a WBY .340 Magnum and accuracy is superb. I believe they make a .270 in this model. Snipers in Vietnam had very good performance from the Winchester .270 and it was light weight. My Ruger .375 is a very light gun in that caliber and I would warn you, even with a factory brake this thing kicks like a Missouri mule. I firmly believe that Weatherby has the best brakes (Accumark) on the market. But to answer your question about the fluting,. You will not reduce the weight of that rifle significantly and be assured it will affect accuracy slightly.

I happen to have a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight in .270 Win I would sell because I have another chambered for my wildcat. The .270 sits in the factory stock and has a Proof Research stock that is about eight ounces lighter.

Dr Gray come on man. The op said his rifle was slightly to heavy not significantly to heavy. Fluting will lighten his rifle at least slightly. And yes it will affect his accuracy. But which way? Better or worse?
We need a poll. How many people got there barrel fluted and it shot worse or better or same. I don't know how to start a poll.
Shep

I finally decided a 28" long bartlin fluted sendero barrel was two long with a mod on to be practical and chopped it to 24" the bit cut off weighed 239g which surprised me but the rifle is a lot more handy now

Dr Gray come on man. The op said his rifle was slightly to heavy not significantly to heavy. Fluting will lighten his rifle at least slightly. And yes it will affect his accuracy. But which way? Better or worse?
We need a poll. How many people got there barrel fluted and it shot worse or better or same. I don't know how to start a poll.
Shep
He is a Doctor bro - proceed with caution. My bro in law is fake dr (dentist) and he is also the type of guy would use Dr in a username - cracks me up!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.