To Flute/turn down or not?

• No

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Tacos

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
It is never "Stress Free" only reduced or relaxed stress. Are you ISO certified? I am?
Do it all BEFORE you relieve it Not after! Every operation changes things
I can straighten raw bar stock with a torch water and an indicator and a couple vee blocks W/I .005
but it won't stay when you start cutting it?

Last edited:
The question is why is fluting a cut barrel is any different than a button if there both
" reduced or relaxed stress"

It is never "Stress Free" only reduced or relaxed stress. Are you ISO certified? I am?
Do it all BEFORE you relieve it Not after! Every operation changes things
I can straighten raw bar stock with a torch water and an indicator and a couple vee blocks W/I .005
but it won't stay when you start cutting it?
Have you ever stress relieved rifle barrels?

Stress relieving rifle barrels is alot more than using a torch.
There brought up to a certain temp. in an oven slowly and hold there for a certain amount of time and cooled down slowly takes hours to do

Or Cyanide or several other gasses in controlled atmosphere furnaces The time and temp are set by alloy and weight of parts.Or You can pack in bone charcoal or seal in stainless foil. Bring it I've done tons! Quench in oil..salt water or air cool .Who gets what?

Last edited:
I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

If you really want a shorter barrel and suppressor, I would have the current one chopped to the length needed or better yet put the money toward the new barrel and suppressor. I wouldn't spend the money on the fluting, if you really want a suppressor in the end.

My .260 shoots wonderfully, but the barrel is a bit too heavy to hunt with.

It is 24" long, set up for a switch lug, & has a timed Muzzle Attachment on the end.

If I can get it fluted without compromising accuracy I'd like to do so.

Realistically, How much weight can be removed?

Are there any East/ South East Smiths that are known for successfully turning down or fluting a Barrel?

There is a sponsor on here that is on the Left Coast, but I assume shipping back & forth would take the better part of 2 weeks.

I'd prefer to have this one fluted or turned, (whatever is possible), but if it will affect accuracy that's a no go for me: I'll just get another barrel in the contour/ weight that's more agreeable for hunting that will also support a suppressor.

Thoughts?

Start lifting weights. Bulk up and carry the rifle in as is.

I've worked in the custom barrel field for 8+ years.... we've tried fluting savages and DPMS barrels and it hasn't ever really worked out. Cheap oem barrels with cheap steel have internal stresses...when you remove material weird things happen.

The only way I would consider fluting after installation is if it was a high quality custom barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.