To Flute/turn down or not?

• No

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Tacos

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
I've seen a couple barrels move at fluting, I'm very picky what barrel I would flute and who I will use for fluting because you can have a guy just plow flutes in or you can have a guy who machines flutes. Many barrels are contoured in the middle of the process so any movement can be corrected in process, all barrels I can think of are finish lapped and inspected after finish contouring. Recontouring just don't get it for me, you cut real weight at order time or in length IMO!!

It was originally a 26". We were extremely lucky to get the barrel originally as this gun was assembled in 2015 when barrels were harder to come by.

Hawk Hill .264" 1:8 twist #13.

https://www.hawkhillcustom.com/barrel-info.html

Last edited:
Before:

SGpxQa4.jpg

After:

YTVF6Ns.jpg

I didn't see any loss/change in accuracy.....
The switch from Nightforce to Leupold was a weight saving exercise?

No Stress in a barrel is No stress no matter if it cut or button.
You start with a stress free barrel wether its cut or button flute it what changes just because ones cut or button when there both stress free to begin with.

Well button moves a lot of metal in one pass. They pull a preground carbide cutter
It does it all at once stresses and all! But a single point tool takes as much or little as it's set one pass at a time. As a 45 year retired machinist I certainly have an opinion as
to what I think is best!

Well button moves a lot of metal in one pass. They pull a preground carbide cutter
It does it all at once stresses and all! But a single point tool takes as much or little as it's set one pass at a time. As a 45 year retired machinist I certainly have an opinion as
to what I think is best!
Exactly, pulling a button through a barrel induces stress, as it is displacing the metal, heat treating removes most or all of it. Pulling a cutter through a barrel does not induce those stresses.

And turning or fluting introduces a whole new set of stresses.
Really every time you shoot a rifle the barrel changes on the molecular level
due to heat and vibration.

Exactly, pulling a button through a barrel induces stress, as it is displacing the metal, heat treating removes most or all of it. Pulling a cutter through a barrel does not induce those stresses.
Right, heat treating it removes it so its stress free.
Have you ever made barrels?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.