My Baby

jmason

We did a little shooting yesterday and my wife took this Pic of Leyna (my 7 year old). She told me she wants to shoot her first buck this year. She's doing real well practicing on targets and ground hogs. She killed one (may have told some of you this already but I'm very proud of her:D) this season at 536 yards with her 223 rem (pictured). I do have to get them in the scope for her, then she adjusts from there. In this picture she was shooting clay's on a bank at 300 yds.
IMG954185.jpg

The critter in the video below was ill-advised to wonder into our back yard yesterday. Leyna shot it from the kitchen slider
with a 17 HMR. Only about 60-70 yards but still fun to watch.

Can't seem to get the video to embed so here's a link.

[ame="http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/752mason/?action=view&current=LeynaGroundhog2011.mp4"]LeynaGroundhog2011.mp4 video by 752mason - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid679.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fvv153%2F752mason%2FLeynaGroundhog2011.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid679.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fvv153%2F752mason%2FLeynaGroundhog2011.mp4[/ame]
752mason

Last edited:
That is cool. What I am wondering is how to keep them involved?

I have a couple nephews that got into shooting for a while, but seem to be wandering away. Just a few months back I helped one of them build a couple rifles, one for FTR and one for hunting. I taught him to do everything including thread the barrels (even though I threaded both barrels on his builds) he did everything else, including reaming pillar bedding and ceracoating. Lately I cannot even get him to come shoot. Here he is with his 243AI he built for deer hunting.

IMAG0043.jpg

Eddybo, I wish I knew. Best I can figure is she's a little younger than your nephews so it might be a little easier to get her excited about it. I'm sure it won't always be this easy( sure wish it would be). I know if you were my uncle you wouldn't be able to keep me away!!:D

It's very interesting how kids grow or not grow into the shooting sport. When I was quite young I remember my father on his knees behind me reaching around helping me hold the pistol and talking me through the shot. I never lost interest and I think I at times drove him nuts with my wanting to go shoot.

Did kinda the same thing with my son but he totally lost interest in his early teens. I never pushed him to go but always invited him. Was planning a out of state trip with my cousin one evening and my son asked if he could go. He was 16 and from that trip forward he has been my best hunting buddy. Go Figure!

Have two grandsons to hook up. Looking forward to that.

I watched this deer lay in the high grass from 7:30 am to 4:15PM when my daughter got off the bus. It was in the wide open all day until about 20 minutes before she got home. It moved 10 yards into some thicker weeds. She had a hard time picking it out in the scope but finally got it. Both of her grandfathers were present for the shot. It was only 205 yards away and just flopped over. She shot it with my 7mm wsm that Kevin Cram put together for me.

IMG-20111207-00017.jpg

Hey Wampum,

She's comin' right along. Yur a patient dad!

Ya otta bring her out west and shoot a woof or two. Not a guaranteed shot but the other stuff can be arranged. :)

Thanks boys!

Roy I would love to, but I believe a trip to Disney is in order before a woof hunt:D.. At least that's how momma sees it.

A little update on my peanut. She's started shooting a silhouette match with my friends and I. Kevin (one of my buds) already had his little boy shooting. He is a little younger than my girl. He does incredibly well.

This past weekend we had Kevin's son, my daughter, and my daughters friend shooting. The targets are from 850-1000 yards, and there are no words to express how proud I am of all their performance's, and how lucky I feel to able to shoot with these kids. Kevin's son shoots a 6.5x284 w/o a break, and the girls were shooting a 7wsm with a break. Not a single complaint or issue with recoil on any of them. It is amazing how well the kids can focus at the age of 8. One of my friend's (who is also my daughter's friend's Daddy) did a little documentation of the trip. below is a link.

http://www.camplongshot.com/images/Last Match at Ridgeway 2012.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.