My Arizona Desert Ram

Great ram!!! Write down all the notes and details so you can relive the hunt as best as possible since these hunts are so hard to come by!

You have a great experience to share and a story to pass along (and an awesome trophy to boot)!

After my first sheep hunt last year, I see stories and photos of others and hope I am lucky enough to draw a tag again someday.

Once again, great ram and well done!

Wow! Sounds like a great hunt! Most of us can only dream about such an experience! Care to pass along some tips and advice???
I'm from NC so judging rams is something I'd never done prior to the trip. These tips/advice are based on me having zero sheep experience unless you count West TX Aoudad. Tip #1. Hire someone or a few guys that are familiar with the unit, and know what kind of sheep the unit will produce. AZGF provides statistics and green scores from each unit, each year. That data will give you an idea of what kind of ram is generally available, but there is no replacement for actual scouting. The guys that helped me already had a good idea of a few rams in the unit, since they scout it for fun anyway.

Tip #2. Get there early, before the season comes in. Give yourself a chance to look over a few rams before the pressure of shooting one comes into play. I got there 3 days before the season and looked over dozens and several really nice rams. Rams so nice, that I would have been happy to go home with them. The guys I was with said they were very nice rams, but they had seen at least 4 rams nicer. After being there for 3 days, I was already adjusted for the altitude and getting better at spotting and judging rams. By opening day, the pressure of coming home empty handed was gone. We saw several good rams every single day. I was able to remain patient, and hold out for an exceptional ram, mainly because the guys I was with kept reassuring me it was only a matter of time before we turned up one of the best rams. We worked extremely hard at it, and looked into some hidden pockets that required some extra effort climbing, but it was worth it. Being is shape is a given. If you aren't in shape, you severely limit your chances to get to these rams.

Tip#3. Document your hunt with videos, pictures of sheep, terrain, local critters, cactus, rocks etc. All of it brings back memories and it hasn't even been a week yet.