My Antelope

diderr

My opening day for antelope started off at 3:00p.m., but turned out to be a rewarding afternoon. The moment I got out of my afternoon college class I rushed home to grab the rifle and all my gear. The night before I just installed my jewell, and had to stop at the range to re-zero. Chris (my hunting partner) and I made a 15 mile drive NE to a walk-in area. By the time we put all of our gear on and grabbed our rifles we were just itching to get into the field. After hiking and glassing we found our selves near the end of that particular walk-in area. We were just about ready to make the turn around to walk back to the Jeep when Chris saw two antelope. He said "it's two does"; I didn't really care about horns so I laid down in a good position and took out the trusty Leica. I ranged the two antelope at 353 yards; I did it about three times to make sure that it was indeed 350 yards. I looked down at my scope cap where my "quick & fast" drop chart was located. It told me to hold over 4.5 MOA. After focusing my scope I realized the antelope on the right was a decent buck, so naturally I chose to harvest him. I took my deep breathes to shake out all the nerves I could. After making sure I was ready to shoot I put 8oz of rearward pressure on the trigger sending a 210 berg VLD into his shoulder; he was DRT. Chris and I ran the whole 353 yards to my buck. By the time we took pictures, and quartered him up he had a 1.68 mile hike back to the Jeep with only 1/2 hour of quality light left and no flashlight; I forgot the Surefire at home:confused:. Half way there it got REALLY dark. I couldn't see Chris 10 ft in front of me. We had to basically fly using the radar (GPS) to find the Jeep. We finally found the Jeep after a little searching. It turned out to be a good opener.
ImageShack - Hosting :: pictureorvideo463pi0.jpg
my.php

11" with 3" cutters

Last edited:
NICE! i cant wait till i get moved to CO, gonna love being able to hunt antelope and everything else. im considering a 300 wsm in the future looks like you have good success with yours!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.