My 7saum by Hawk Hill Custom

trebark

My new 7saum has arrived and I'm excited to share some pics.

This rifle will be my long range tactical rifle (for matches where a stage(s) may be 1000yards and farther). It will also spend some time in the field hunting deer and groundhogs.

Here are the specs:

Action: Blueprinted Remington 700
Caliber: 7saum
Barrel: 28" fluted, heavy barrel, 1:8 twist to shoot 180 and 195grain bullets, four port Muscle Brake and Holland recoil lug
Finish: McMillan Gray cerakote.
Stock: McMillan A3 (50% brown, 25% black, 25% gray - trebark colors!) with adjustable cheekpiece. Pillar bedded.
Trigger: Jewell trigger tuned to 18oz. - it breaks like glass!
Optics: Leupold MK4 8.5-25x50 with M5 turrets and TMR reticle mounted in Burris Signature Rings and 20moa rail.

Weight: 15lbs unloaded

This rifle started life as http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-300rum-mcr-70809/ The conversion to 7saum was done by Shawn Burkholder with Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom. I highly recommend him to you.

Initial load development has shown great accuracy potential (.5moa or better) while sending 180grain Berger Hybrids at 2900+ with expectations of getting them going 3000fps. I'll post shooting results soon. In the mean time, here's a few pics of my new stick. Let me know what you think.

This rifle is a visual twin of http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/index11.html#post952416. (7saum in rear with four port brake)

very nice indeed.gun)

Love the Mc marble colouring and that brake looks sweet with that barrel contour.
What powder are you using?

You gotta love the SAUM's.
Though made a school boy error shooting mine yesterday, not shouldering it properly and split my eyebrow open.

Thank you for the nice comment.

As for reloading, I am currently working with Retumbo. Will also do some testing with H1000. Whichever produces consistent velocities will be the winner.

Hey Trebark that is a nice pair of rigs you have ,and if you ever get tired of shooting them send them way up north ill put some brass through them for ya . Good luck with your load development ,and I hope they shoot as good as they look, looking forward to seeing some targets.

Looks great now that they are both box mag harder to tell them apart. Hope our sevens live up to the numbers, you'll have me by 50-100 for with your long action. Can't wait to get my 260 back. It will be like having a daily driver corvette and also having a full blown race car in the garage.

Looks great now that they are both box mag harder to tell them apart. Hope our sevens live up to the numbers, you'll have me by 50-100 for with your long action. Can't wait to get my 260 back. It will be like having a daily driver corvette and also having a full blown race car in the garage.

Excellent analogy! You can always tell them apart by counting the vents in the brakes.

Great looking rig. I am having a REM 700 rebarreled into a 7saum. Plan will be to load and use 175 lab or 180 burgers. Just curious to see if you've come up with a load yet.

After some struggles resolving a mystery, my big cannon rifle is finally performing well!

The mystery was that no matter what I tried, I could not get a load to shoot faster than 2750 without showing pressure signs. The resolution turned out to lap the barrel a few more strokes because the barrel was cut exactly .2840 and it needed to be .2841. Seems hard to believe but .0001 was the difference between 2750fps and 3000fps.

With the mystery solved, the rifle has performed very well. It now shoots the 180grain Berger Hybrids at 3000fps into .5moa or better groups. Here's the load data:

Bullet: 180grain Berger Hybrid
Powder: 66grains Retumbo
Brass: Nosler
Primer: F215M

Have shot the rifle out to 625 yards so far. It is amazing! Shooting those 180 bergers really fast, they just slip threw the wind! Looking forward to deer season when it opens up in mid-November.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts