My 6.5 Sherman rifle and load development thread

Forgot to include the Retumbo target. IMG_20170730_155037.jpg Woops!

That's some good shooting! And add to the thread! It's only helping us 6.5 Sherman shooters out! Only reason I am using H1000 is because I have a ton of it. Not the best for velocity in this cartridge but it does work well.

Alright, finally got time to do some shooting this past week. I changed to retumbo powder as H1000 just wasn't doing it for me. Did a ladder test at 300 yards and found a node at around 64 Gr. I loaded up some rounds starting at 63.6 and going to 64 in .1 Gr increments. All were three shot groups and all of them shot at or just under MOA except for 64 Gr. which shot just under 1/3 MOA with a .8" group CTC. Pretty pleased with that but I am going to load up 10 of them and test accuracy and ES. Hopefully it holds up and is consistent.

Notice the verticals is almost non existant so hopefully that holds up too!

64 Gr of retumbo with 140 Gr berger HVLD at .015" off the rifling.

870AD10B-1627-4C8D-9ABE-A61BE7DAB398.jpeg

I need to get some new brass and revisit my Sherman. Been to long since I shot it. My velocities seem much higher than what you guys are posting. 64 gr of N570 got me 3339 fps with a 140 Berger out of a 28" Hart. My friends Sherman is the same as mine but his wears a 28" Brux. Maybe the chronograph is out. Drops lined up out to 700 yds though.

I need to get some new brass and revisit my Sherman. Been to long since I shot it. My velocities seem much higher than what you guys are posting. 64 gr of N570 got me 3339 fps with a 140 Berger out of a 28" Hart. My friends Sherman is the same as mine but his wears a 28" Brux. Maybe the chronograph is out. Drops lined up out to 700 yds though.
Your velocities are real! Most people aren't using N570:D

Thanks rich. I figured the velocity was right with it matching the drops. Got a couple boxes of 147 ELD-M to try next. Do you think around 3200 fps for those would be safe? Don't want to push it to hard. Almost out of 570 so may try R26 this time.

Thanks rich. I figured the velocity was right with it matching the drops. Got a couple boxes of 147 ELD-M to try next. Do you think around 3200 fps for those would be safe? Don't want to push it to hard. Almost out of 570 so may try R26 this time.
Easily 3200

Great thanks guys. Now I need to find some brass. Availability in Canada is brutal! I'd love some RWS. Or formed brass would be even better hint hint lol.

Sorry it's 65.5 and my brass is still in great shape using Norma that I anneal every second go around. Primer pockets still tight too just need to get some of the new 155 Berger now

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.