My 6.5-270 WSM XP and 6.5-20 HUMR

Re: 6.5-284 XP & FFP ART Antelope

Although slightly off topic since I used MOA with a 6.5-20 FFP Leupold ART reticle.
Here is a uncommon doe antelope I shot at 420 yards in a 10mph full value wind using the ART reticle. I originally was going to shoot at 500 yards, but Steve was having a difficult time seeing the view screen of the camera (Glare).
Rear-grip McRee stock, Kelbly trigger, McGowen barrel, Holland Radial Brake and Leupold FFP 6.5-20 with ART. Using the reticle made it easy to handle the changing distances as the animals continued to move.
On a side note we learned it is difficult for the spotter to do his job and try to film at the same time:)
Used the Berger 140 VLD and it performed great. 1-shot and she was down quickly. Personally I was very pleased how I doped the wind. it was fairly constant and that sure made it easier.

That was a great shot...but unfortunately not on film. Next time i guess.

Steve,
You forgot to mention on the same day you dropped a doe with one shot at 300 yards with the same rig as well-Good job!

That is some excellent shooting from both of you. I had the great opportunity to meet Steve and Ernie last week in WY. Not only great shots but more than willing to help anyone else that is aspiring to push the envelope of long range handgunning. Those are some great scopes, plan on a few in the next couple of weeks myself.
Great shooting again!!!
nmhunter

Very nice rig sscoyote and great shot. I do have a question though. Does your zero change when you go from a BRbipod and sandbag rest to a sitting position with a tall bipod with the grip resting on your knee?

I'm not sure John. I'll have to check that some this year. I know that's the position i get in often, and i haven't noticed a problem--have u? I'll post another pic of 1 i shot at 330 or so with this same rig tomorrow. That 1 i took from the sit using the tall bipod and soft-sided stadium seat.

I seem to shoot about ½'' lower @ 100yds when I go from a BR bipod to a tall bipod with my XP 6mm-223 and H-S 6mmBR. I do not have muzzle brakes on them and wonder if that would make a difference. I always hunt with a tall bipod and sight in with it on.

I'll check that John--appreciate the heads up on it. U know every time i see your screen name i think about JLK Bullets--some of my favorites.

JLK is just my initials. I look forward to seeing more pics of your hunts.It sure is different terrain than the wooded forest where I live in northern Michigan.

Here's another pic of the 6.5 WSM with a 330 yrd. dog. Not many trees around here though--in fact this particular location is about 3 sections square. If i kill a dog in the middle of it i have to haul him a long ways to a fence post for skinning--it ain't easy anymore (not that it ever was tho.)

063_63.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.