My .338 Thor

Sorry to hear about your dog...
A couple of ideas on powders: VV N570 if you can get your hands on any for the 250 or 300 grain bullets (Going off the VV load data for the 338 Lapua) and for 300 grain bullets you may want to also try VV 24N41 with the later being readily available and a single base powder, it could be worth the time to build a load for it? FYI: You can download the VV load data online in PDF format.
My dog Thor is still alive and well despite his age; just honoring him now while he is still with me.

Yes, I have those powders to try too. As previously noted, just trying out powders I already have open.

I made it to the range this AM and did my initial fire-forming off the chamber/barrel break-in (18 shots).

View attachment 448878
The one on the right is fire-formed with Hornady 250 BTHP 91.5g Magpro 9 1/2M 3.40" COAL.
View attachment 448879
These are the last 4 shots during the barrel break-in at 100Y. I think it has potential because I only established a baseline load to fire-form and not expecting any accuracy.
Very nice setup!
That's a somewhat unique improved version with the short neck, just how long is it?
What shoulder angle did you go with, I'm also curious where you end up capacity wise.

Great looking rifle. But I sure hate the lead sled. Hope the heavy recoil doesn't break anything while using the sled.
The lead sled was the original and have been using it since it first came out (~20 years) and never had any issues. Those that I know that incurred damages (mostly cracked stocks) were using 50-100 weights. The only issue I have with it is not being able to cradle it/having a nice cheek weld.

I primary use it when mounting scope and doing barrel break-in. It makes a nice transition from shooting to cleaning the barrel while securing it. I use a different set up when doing load development.

Very nice setup!
That's a somewhat unique improved version with the short neck, just how long is it?
What shoulder angle did you go with, I'm also curious where you end up capacity wise.
Thanks! .300"/45.

F45FE464-E928-47C0-A357-3B43DF1A4FD9.jpeg

The lead sled was the original and have been using it since it first came out (~20 years) and never had any issues. Those that I know that incurred damages (mostly cracked stocks) were using 50-100 weights. The only issue I have with it is not being able to cradle it/having a nice cheek weld.

I primary use it when mounting scope and doing barrel break-in. It makes a nice transition from shooting to cleaning the barrel while securing it. I use a different set up when doing load development.
I can't get comfortable on one to shoot. But scope mounting and cleaning would be good. I'm not recoil sensitive so I just shoulder it and like to see my shoots and groups during break in. Tipton Vice for cleaning between shoots.

I am still in the barrel break-in (18 shots) and fire-forming off the chamber (80 to go 😇) phase but so far so good.

Looking forward to following this thread! I have a 338 NMI getting built right now. Also would like to try a Carbonsix Barrel at some point. They have alot of options between barrel lengths, contours, and twist rates.