My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Who on here is running a standard throat, cycling in a short action? The reason Im asking is Ive got a 338 SS, long throated on a short action, 250 gr Berger built on a 17 lb rifle. I want a hunting rifle in this cartridge, and Im wondering what accuracy velocities are guys getting with standard throating. I have an accuracy load at 2817, and I believe I could go higher, but had to stop load development due to a severe drought and shooting bands all year, and then intense cold set in. That 250 is seated way out and about to fall out of the neck, but extremely accurate. I let the gunsmith talk me into that throating, cause I think it was the only reamer he had. I dont wanna run in a long action. A med length would be my choice, but apparently finding a stock and bottom metal is gonna be a challenge at best. Im a lefty, so that further compounds my problem finding what I think I want.
Thanks

Who on here is running a standard throat, cycling in a short action? The reason Im asking is Ive got a 338 SS, long throated on a short action, 250 gr Berger built on a 17 lb rifle. I want a hunting rifle in this cartridge, and Im wondering what accuracy velocities are guys getting with standard throating. I have an accuracy load at 2817, and I believe I could go higher, but had to stop load development due to a severe drought and shooting bands all year, and then intense cold set in. That 250 is seated way out and about to fall out of the neck, but extremely accurate. I let the gunsmith talk me into that throating, cause I think it was the only reamer he had. I dont wanna run in a long action. A med length would be my choice, but apparently finding a stock and bottom metal is gonna be a challenge at best. Im a lefty, so that further compounds my problem finding what I think I want.
Thanks
You should find a good load between 2750 and 2800 with the std FB reamer at 2.970 (to the lands) with a 250 Berger

I should really update the thread with details but for now I'll add that I'm shooting a 225 Barnes ttsx at 2.815 coal at .050 off. It fits in a factory SA rem 700 BDL mag box. Im throated an extra .120 over the standard reamer.

A med length would be my choice, but apparently finding a stock and bottom metal is gonna be a challenge at best. Im a lefty, so that further compounds my problem finding what I think I want.
Thanks
I think there are a few stock manufacturers inletting for the medium actions and Hawkins Precision just released xm hunter bottom metal and magazines for a few action makers.

Thanks

You could also look at a short action and modify it with a Baney box from Wyatts. I can load almost 3.1" in a Rem 700 SA. Not a Sherman on this one, but could be an option.

You could also look at a short action and modify it with a Baney box from Wyatts. I can load almost 3.1" in a Rem 700 SA. Not a Sherman on this one, but could be an option.

Sounds like a good of work to modify, but a possibility that I'll look into. Thanks

I should really update the thread with details but for now I'll add that I'm shooting a 225 Barnes ttsx at 2.815 coal at .050 off. It fits in a factory SA rem 700 BDL mag box. Im throated an extra .120 over the standard reamer.
I was keeping an eye on your posts during testing cause you were about the only one running a standard throat in the beginning. Did you end up with any good brass before lengthening the throat? Seems like brass was limiting you.

Sounds like a good of work to modify, but a possibility that I'll look into. Thanks

Mine didn't require the ejection port to be opened up. Just the bottom of the receiver had to be milled for the long box and bolt stop.

I think the XM just has this already done.

Can load 215s close to about 3.050" and still eject.

Recent Posts