My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Does anyone have any 338 SS load data out there with H4350, IMR 7977 or H4831SC? If not, I will make sure to document what I find as I have those three powders in current inventory. If I shouldn't bother with any of those, let me know and I will save the trouble.

Does anyone have any 338 SS load data out there with H4350, IMR 7977 or H4831SC? If not, I will make sure to document what I find as I have those three powders in current inventory. If I shouldn't bother with any of those, let me know and I will save the trouble.

With the 250 berger I ran H4831sc up to 62 grains with a F215M primer and was under 2500 FPS. I'd give H4350 a try. I've done some limited testing with it and it showed promise.

With the 250 berger I ran H4831sc up to 62 grains with a F215M primer and was under 2500 FPS. I'd give H4350 a try. I've done some limited testing with it and it showed promise.
sounds like the H4831SC is not for this cartridge then. I'll play around with the H4350 and IMR 7977. The 7977 is supposed to be extremely similar to H1000. Once the barrel gets here, I will post a picture of the rifle and give a report. Any chance you want to share what powder load you tried the 4350 in? Or give a recommendation for a starting load? Never done a wildcat before and so trying to learn as much as possible.

sounds like the H4831SC is not for this cartridge then. I'll play around with the H4350 and IMR 7977. The 7977 is supposed to be extremely similar to H1000. Once the barrel gets here, I will post a picture of the rifle and give a report. Any chance you want to share what powder load you tried the 4350 in? Or give a recommendation for a starting load? Never done a wildcat before and so trying to learn as much as possible.

I did try H1000, up to 63 grains with a 230 eldx and it didn't pressure up (2492). Not sure how close 7977 is to H1000.

I've only loaded H4350 with the 230 eldx. Today I shot up to 62 grains with a F215M and was 2784 with no pressure signs. I'll try squeezing more in there next time as I think there's room to go up.

Anyone having this issue? I am trying to neck them up from 7mm to 338 and 5 out of 5 brass have done this. On 2 of them tried going to 30 cal first (which worked) but once I run this though the Forester sizing die, the shoulders give out. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Was that brass 40* or 30* shoulder and what size bushing? I'm going to neck up some 40* next week, so I'm learning.

I had that happen on 4 or 5 of my 338ss brass, and it was during the first sizing, from stock size (.264?) to 308. Didn't happen to me when stepping between 308 to 338. Only way around it was a copious amount of lube, and switching to a carbide mandrel, vs a stainless mandrel.

Anyone having this issue? I am trying to neck them up from 7mm to 338 and 5 out of 5 brass have done this. On 2 of them tried going to 30 cal first (which worked) but once I run this though the Forester sizing die, the shoulders give out. Any help would be appreciated.
Is it just my eyes, or are the case mouths rounded in a little? If they are I'd say your die isn't set correctly. Try moving your decapping/expander ball further down into the die.
I've necked up from 7mm to 338 using increments of .30-.310-.338 and no issues. I use a universal decapping die and change out the expanders, so there's little chance of trying to size the brass while I neck up.

You need a tapered expander, and prob 2 steps up, like a 325/8mm then a step to 338.
This sounds like a redneck solution, and it is.. do you have a collet bullet puller? Put a bullet base first into the collet puller and use that for an expander. The long taper of a bullet makes it much easier. Lube the inside of the case neck well and it should expand no issue.

Is it just my eyes, or are the case mouths rounded in a little? If they are I'd say your die isn't set correctly. Try moving your decapping/expander ball further down into the die.
I've necked up from 7mm to 338 using increments of .30-.310-.338 and no issues. I use a universal decapping die and change out the expanders, so there's little chance of trying to size the brass while I neck up.
I think it is just the angle of the picture? It must have been the forester die... I have a 338-378 Weatherby RCBS die and I ran it through that (tapered) and they sized up without issue. Sucks to have destroyed 6 brass, but glad I got 94 ready to go.

Recent Posts