My 338 Sherman / Ruger M77 Build

I got a real good deal on a Winchester M70 in 270win. I was looking into making it into a 270 Sherman. I am now thinking of going the 338 Sherman route.

I know it is not apples to apples but you are getting better MV than a 338win mag with the same bullet weight.

I was going to go with a 22" barrel for my rifle. Would you know how much velocity would be sacrificed at that barrel length?

I gave up on the RCC brass for now. Way too soft and was blowing primers at loads that the Norma and Hornady brass did fine with.

Ended up with one heck of a load
Rocky Mountain 250 Gr bullet
58.0 Varget
FedGM215m
0.005 jump
MV 2700 with single digit ES

Headed to Wyoming next week for an elk hunt in the Thorofare. Will report back on how the RM bullets do.

2e8cfd19-b8d0-40a2-8cb8-b5b5fc444145.jpeg

I know it is not apples to apples but you are getting better MV than a 338win mag with the same bullet weight.

I was going to go with a 22" barrel for my rifle. Would you know how much velocity would be sacrificed at that barrel length?
When I built the first one and compared it to others, the best dsta showed 10-12' of velocity loss per inch in that range of barrel.

Last edited:

I don't want to misspeak and I hope that elkaholix will chime in but I believe it's only on the order of 20-25 FPS per inch with this round.

I ran all the numbers at some point in QL extrapolating using the 338-270 HGT data. With the suitable powders ( % burn rate and case fill %) there was not a signif advantage going with 26" barrel. And I don't remember the numbers for a 22" but they weren't terrible.

I had a Ruger like yours in 30-06, if you shot your rifle in 270 how would you rate recoil from 270win to 338Sherman

I have a APA brake on it and a light Palma barrel so recoil is prob now less than the factory 270. My 100# 15 year old daughter likes to shoot it if that tells you anything

That's a sweet looking Tanger. I have one as well, but would be afraid to let anyone change it. May make for a great 338 Max when the 300 WM barrel goes...