My 338 Lapua Magnum by Cloud Peak Gunworks

Cold bore shot this morning at 100 yards. 15 wake ups and I'll be in Wyoming!
56D0EC7C-44B4-401A-8370-D2A53749698D.jpeg

Last edited:
My 338 Lapua Magnum by Cloud Peak Gunworks

Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter – Long Action:
- 416R SS (1.403 Thread Depth, 16 TPI)
- Integral 20 MOA Base
- Integral Recoil Lug
- 1.35" OD Receiver Bottom
- .750 Bolt: One Piece
- .595 Bolt Face
- Recessed Lugs
- Faceted Bolt Shroud
- Modified Bolt Handle
- Long Tactical Bolt Knob
- SS Bolt Stop
- Deep Fluted Bolt
- Heavy Tang
- Mini 16 Extractor
- Defiance Firing Pin Assembly
- Wyatt Mag Well Cut
- (Black Cerakote)

Bottom Metal & Magazine:
- PTG Remington 700 Long Action (LA) Tactical Bottom Metal (BDL) Steel: (Black Cerakote)
- Wyatts MBE-3 Magazine Box (3.825) Long Box
- Wyatts Long Action Follower
- Wyatts Follower Spring

Barrel: Bartlein 416R Stainless – .338 Caliber
- Lapua Tactical Match Reamer – .371 Neck/.148 Freebore
- 30" Finished Length - Heavy Palma Contour ("B Measurement – 1.25" for 4") Finished @ .90
- 1-9" Twist, 5R Rifling
- 5 Port Muscle Brake, Muzzle Brake (Round)
- (Black Cerakote)

Trigger: Jewel HVRTRS – No Bolt Release (1.5 Lbs.)

Optics: Nightforce (C555) ATACR: 5-25x56MM Enhanced/MOAR-T Reticle HS/ZS
- Badger Ordnance Rings 1.0/M40A3/34 MM (Steel: 306-75)
- Holland Shooting Supply – 34 MM Scope level

Stock: HS-Precision PST036
– Gray w/Black Webbing (Fully Bedded)

Weight: 15 lbs.

Length: 52 3/8"

Supplies:
- Bullets: Berger 300 Grain Elite Hunter (.417 G7 BC)
- Brass: 338 Lapua
- Powder: H1000
- Primers: Federal 215 Match
- Dies: Redding Type S FL Die (36594)

The rifle was built by Trevor Rosencranse of Cloud Peak Gunworks (CPG). Trevor is great to work with. He answered any and all questions. Completion and delivery of the rifle was as stated. If someone is looking for a quality gunsmith for a custom rifle build, don't hesitate to contact him. The fit and finish of this rifle is amazing.

Cloud Peak Gunworks
Trevor Rosencranse
P.O. Box 757
610 South 8th Street
Basin WY 82410
1-307-568-3009
Cloud Peak Gunworks Home Page

I just purchased a Fierce Firearms .338 Lapua Mag, 26" barrel with brake. Mounted a Leupold scope, fired five factory rounds at 100 yards to sight in, then shot five groups of 3 shots each of carefully tailored handholds shooting 277 grain Cutting Edge bullets. Two groups produced their advertised 1/2" size groups, the other 3 groups were around 1". Not bad for a factory rifle.

Before leaving for Wyoming, I verified my zero at 100 yards. I flew out to Wyoming and understand stuff happens, that's why you verify. I verified my zero at 100 in Wyoming, no issues.

I went to the range today to verify my zero after my flight. Needless to say, my zero had shifted. I attribute this to baggage handlers and what goes on out of your sight.

Groups of 2 in order by color:
1st Red
2nd Green
3rd Yellow
4th Blue (+1 MOA)
6E3A2235-C0FD-49E9-8DBA-E0823FC77C86.jpeg

I noticed before I started that my bipod (Atlas) appeared loose. The rail wasn't loose, the quick detach was loose. I didn't think much of it, so I started to shoot. I shot the red group 1st, then I shot the green group. After the green group, I tighten the bipod and then shot the yellow group. Added one MOA and shot the Blue group. About 10 minutes in between groups.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised that somebody jumped on my case, maybe even kicked it. I double checked all screw were tight with my rings, bases, and action. So what happened that made my initial groups low like that. I will eat the fact the bipod was loose and I should have tightened it before i shot. But that wouldn't attribute to being low and what if any damage has occurred.

I am going to reshoot in the morning and see what's what. Sorry, this is just me rambling.

That's exactly how my rifles will shoot when the scope has gone south and needs to be sent in for repair...

Problem with those little Lapuas is that they have trouble making it all the way across the wider valleys with the 300 gr bullets.
If theres a large stream below, its always a good idea to have some body watching for splashes. lol.

But to get serious for a bit, have you tried or considered trying 250 gr bullets?
Many of the guys i know use the 378 Wetherby case, and their velocity is running between 2950 and 3000 FPS with the 300 gr bullet.
Most of them have switched to 250 gr bullets in order to gain velocity, and have found that up to about 1500 yds, the gun shoots flatter with those than with the 300 gr due to the velocity increase.
Mind you now im referring to hunters, not extreme distance target shooters.
That said in my fifty years of long range hunting in Pa, and having known many others who also hunt there,
i only know one person whoes word i would trust who has killed a (buck) at a mile in Pa.
And he did it with a 338x378 using a 250 gr bullet.
Velocity rules, at least to a point, after which we might be better off to just go **** on our boots than to continue to send lead.

I know this is an older thread, but that 338L looks awesome. Bucketlist rifle for me. Nice looking WY whitetail too..mask is a nice touch lol

This post has been better than any reality TV show out there. You guys are some mad scientists....lol
I wish I lived in an area that I could try some long range shooting. I'm in the mountains of VA and even our biggest crop fields might allow a 400-500 yd shot.
Seriously, very good stuff here and I'm enjoying the fact that no details are left out. Hell I might even learn something.