Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Gun Photos' started by C.O. Shooter, Mar 21, 2017.
675 yards/90.5 Grains@3.830.
I have been busy shooting and trying to develope a load for my rifle. I have had help along the way from a friend. This is my best to date at this distance. It's only a three shot group, I chickened out and didn't fire my last three.
91 Grains/2.981 BTO
Vertical looks promising.
Reshot the 91 Grains of H1000@2.981. Also shot firstname.lastname@example.org. The 91 was the better of the two groups. I have a few 92's to try, but that will have to wait for another day. I'm assuming 91 will be my go to! Target was set at 1070 yards. I was very happy with my cold bore shot. My square is 5".
Let me try to get my jaw off the floor.. Holy cow that rig is nice!! I wish I had a range to put a .338 Lapua to good use. Keep up the great work!
Thanks! Debating moving the bullet out a little more. Try to tighten it up a little more. Group was under .5 MOA.
Nice!! I have no doubt you'll do really well with the setup you have! I bet all the big game out there are going to be scared to come out now.. Haha
I reshot the 91.5s @1070 yards. I had about the same results. The group was ok, but the vertical was greater. I'll be sticking with the 91s. May move them out .002 more and try again.
I did a little validation @1360 yards and then shoot a mile. This was my first attempt at a mile with my .338. I'll definitely try this again!
59.25 MOA/1.75 MOA L (Too Much L)
After validation, 2862 FPS.
91 Grains H1000
White circle is roughly 24"
I forgot to post about my last outing! My accuracy load is 91 Grains of H1000@2.981. I loaded a handful @ 2.983 and reshot @1070 yards. Needless to say I was surprised as I didn't even hit the target. Not really certain how or why .002 would make that much of a difference, but something went wrong. Checked everything, everything was tight. The only thing that changed was that I pushed the bore for carbon, with botetech carbon cleaner. Nothing new as I have done this before. The last time I did this was 70 rounds ago. Loaded up my last 14 rounds back at 2.981. After these, I'll be at 200 rounds fired.
Ok, so I made an ooopps! The last few rounds I’ve shot, I haven’t been able to hit my target! I am like WTF! I had changed my seating depth by .002 trying to tighten things up! I wasn’t able to hit my plate at 1070.
Well I looked back through my book. The last time I did hit a target, was at a mile. Well come to find out, the night we shot a mile, I must have went past my zero a complete rotation and was completely off by (30 MOA). I hadn’t set my zerostop as I wanted to confirm my load first!
I shot the other night trying to zero at 200, I couldn’t hit. So this morning, I bore sighted it through the barrel and scope at 100 yards. 6 rounds fired. Much better, live and learn!
In between each shot, I dialed the turret up several MOA to verify the scope was tracking properly. 78 MOA, back to Zero, 78 to Zero, 60 to Zero, 60 to Zero, 30 to Zero, and again 30 to Zero. The scope is tracking very well!
Now I’m at 200 rounds fired! I can’t imagine I’ll pick up any more speed in my barrel. I’m gonna get my brass tumbled and annealed! Currently using a .364 titanium bushing In my Redding FL Die. Ordered a .365 bushing. Wondering if it will make a difference! I really want to be done with load development and just shoot!
I enjoyed reading your 338 lapua build thread(s)!
I have 2 separate batches of 15 loaded. Same load and length, just different bushings. .364 vs .365. I’m in need of a V3 Magnetospeed.
I finally got the chance to try out the new Magnetospeed. Being my first time, I made some mistakes as far as my strings. I should’ve fired two fouling shots then started my tests (Wasn’t thinking). I shot my rounds in the order I reloaded them for each bushing.
Overall the load wasn’t bad. It is my accuracy load. I wanted to see the difference it would make using the different bushings (.364 vs .365). Im using Reading dies (FL and Comp Seat).
The .364 seemed to group better, but with the Magnetospeed on there, I’m not really concerned about groups now.
Hypothetically, if I remove my first shot using the .365 bushing that would’ve gave me an average velocity of 2848 and a SD of 7.2. I could go one step further and remove the first two shots (Setting up seater die) in my first string and then add in round count 236 and 237, that would give me an average velocity of 2850 and a SD a 4.2. However, I understand barrel conditions change as the number of rounds increase. There was no cleaning in between rounds or sequence.
The 2797 ft./s was a totally clean cold bore.
I have five rounds remaining for each bushing. I’m kind on the fence on what to do. I may load 10 more of each and re-try the test.
I usually only clean for carbon in my barrel, but wanted to start fresh with this test so the barrel got the full treatment prior to. I won’t clean again until I get this worked out.
I’m also going to remeasure and see if/how much the throat grew!
O the joys of reloading! Lol