My 308 has me baffled

if someone is worried about not being able to get the headspace set correctly when they rebarrel a rifle.....well then, my point stands about people who know their craft. It's obvious you are just trying to be disagreeable, and that's fine. You are welcome to spend your time arguing about who is right on the internet if you don't have any customer's rifles to build.

I've been through the trial and error of seeing who builds fine rifles and who is a basement bubba. And to be fair, I'd have to see your work to know which one you are. But after years of seeing crap work, I have become very careful about who I take rifles to, and since this is a point which has come up before in talking with them, I am saying that the 2 best gunsmiths I know both take the barrel off when they thread. And they also reinstall it to the proper headspace.

that's all I really care to argue about the topic.
If they want to charge you to take the barrel on and off, then it's your money. It isn't hard to headspace but why do it if you don't need to. You do what you want with your money, but you should only argue if you have personal experience, which I do. I'm curious how many Gunsmiths on our site would take a barrel off to thread for a muzzle device. You can dial in a barrel just fine thru the headstock. And, I do realize how close muzzle threads need to be. What is the inside diameter of your brake or suppressor?

Mram your not wrong this time. I already covered this early in the thread. A gunsmith isn't going to take a barrel off the receiver to thread or crown unless it is physically necessary. If the barrel fits through the Chuck far enough to reach your good to go. Here is why. You get paid 65 to 100 dollars to thread the end or crown and thred. Taking barrels on and off take time. Especially factory barrels that are really on there tight. Easy to mar the gun barrel or receiver removing and replacing. So no it's not how it's done. It can be done that way but why would you for a simple crown and thread. If anyone gets offended by this it's just plain silly. Heck I learnt this on the back of a box of cracker jacks.
Shep

Mram after reading post 40 you should just give up. Let it be. You are right. If it makes you feel better come over to my shop and stuff a crooked barrel with a receiver on it down through the headstock and crank that sucker down. And then watch me dial it in to .0005 in about 30 seconds. But you know that already.
Shep

There is no reason to remove a barrel for threading unless it doesn't fit in the lathe.
The primer in the second pic that is still in the case does not look like excessive head space.
How was your bolt lift when you shot those rounds?
Had you previously shot the ammo that was loaded before the work was done?
How long has the ammo been loaded?
Can you easily drop or push a new bullet into a fired case?
How many firings are on those cases?
Do you FL size, or bump your shoulders?

It's easy to assume that the work caused the problem, but too often, I've assumed a problem was caused by a recent event when the problem was always there, or would have happened regardless of the recent event.
It's possible this would have happened even if the work was never done.

Mram your not wrong this time. I already covered this early in the thread. A gunsmith isn't going to take a barrel off the receiver to thread or crown unless it is physically necessary. If the barrel fits through the Chuck far enough to reach your good to go. Here is why. You get paid 65 to 100 dollars to thread the end or crown and thred. Taking barrels on and off take time. Especially factory barrels that are really on there tight. Easy to mar the gun barrel or receiver removing and replacing. So no it's not how it's done. It can be done that way but why would you for a simple crown and thread. If anyone gets offended by this it's just plain silly. Heck I learnt this on the back of a box of cracker jacks.
Shep
Love how you said "this time" :)
My wife normally says that

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.