My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!

Re: My 308 1k Rifle - Updated Field Pics!

Very nice. I like the purple actually. It fits the rifle well. Nice setup.

The evolution of my 308 continues!!

Even though I've had great success with the Bushnell 3200 10x40 scope, I went ahead and upgraded to a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 with TMR recticle and M1 knobs. The scope is bada$$. Went out to Quantico for an F-class competition yesterday with jmason. It was a great day, made better by the fact that I improved my score by 10 points from the last time we were out.

The scope is set-up in 30mm Burris Signature Rings and bases. Used the offset inserts to achieve a +20moa cant on the scope. With the addition of the new scope/ring/base set-up, the rifle now tips the scale at 12.5lbs. Here are some pics....

Front View:
308front.jpg

Rear View:
308rear.jpg

Close-up Front View:
308close-upfront.jpg

Close-up Rear View:
308close-uprear.jpg

While the scope certainly added to my ability to see the target more clearly, my score was also improved by continual reloading. The rifles pet load these days is 175VLD hunting bullet over 44.5grains of RL15 and a Winchester primer. Having the rifle shooting the VLD is great because it means I have one load to shoot f-class and hunt with! How's this for a three shot group at 100?

308175VLDtarget.jpg

Although I like the stock on this rifle, I'm beginning to look at the McMillan A5....

Last edited:
I remember the humble begins, where I am looking to start. Your rifle is a long way from where it started. I am definately taking your advice seeing as what you have transformed your gun into. New scope looks really good. Planning on ordering the rings and inserts you told me about this week. Thanks for all your advice and if I may say expertise, in helping me with my project. Once I officially get mine started I will be sure to post pics.

Thats a really impressive setup. Thank you for your advise regarding my 308, optics, rings, etc. It has been fun to read and see your progression. I am planning on posting some pics of my 308 since I just took it out of the box and am starting to set it up.

I know it was a pain in the butt, but how do you like the stock? I want to get one for my Savage, so it shouldn't be a whole deal like you had to go through. I know it weighs about 4 lbs., but is it a lot heavier than a regular composite stock?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.