Shot the barrel out of my first rum on a diet of 200 grain accubonds at 3250 and retumbo then switched to 175 Barnes with the same powder at 3375 amd toasted the barrel at about 875 rounds mind I bought this rifle used. I'm having a second one out together that should be done by Christmas that will be fed 181 hammers and n570 for 3400 fps out of a 26 in barrel.

Figured I'd start a post to keep track of things.

Remington 700 Long Range
EGW 20 MOA 1 piece Rail
Vortex Tactical Rings (6 screws)
Athlon Argos 8-34x56 MIL
Muzzle brake from Ebay (if I'm not happy he offered my money back)

View attachment 229037

Bullets to try
220 ELD-X
225 ELD-M
180 AB
200 AB

I'm looking forward to getting started.
Great rifle, love the 300RUM have 2 of them. Both are very accurate rifles and easy to load for, or im just lucky. My personal experience is they group better at max loads. Started the first one 4 grains under max with rutumbo and h1000. Never shot worth a darn until max, then both settled right in. Took a min with 200 gr Berger to get the seating depth correct. Harvested alot of elk, deer, and antelope with it. Personally i switched away from Bergers didnt care much for the results (everything died) but didnt like the gernade effect. Switched over to 200 grain Eld x shot great, blows up on everything inside of 400-450 (wasnt excited) once again everything died. Made the switch once again to Nosler Accubonds, and in my opinion are a better bullet out of the Ultra Mag. Just my thoughts. So your aware the bullet testing was on over 30 plus elk, 10 deer, 7 antelope, anywhere from 60 to 625 yards. The elk were not all harvested by myself but the rifles got there work in. In sort it is an amazing good cartridge in my opinion. Down side is alot of powder. But they hit like thors hammer. Put a muzzle break on it and a kid can shoot it just fine.

Lol. I was just thinking about asking how the brake worked when I saw this. Guess I'll be getting mine threaded too.
Don't count them out just yet. He is giving me another, and this time I'm going to drill the threads out, and use a small bolt and nut. That way I don't have to worry about stripping the threads out of the aluminum.
Great rifle, love the 300RUM have 2 of them. Both are very accurate rifles and easy to load for, or im just lucky. My personal experience is they group better at max loads. Started the first one 4 grains under max with rutumbo and h1000. Never shot worth a darn until max, then both settled right in. Took a min with 200 gr Berger to get the seating depth correct. Harvested alot of elk, deer, and antelope with it. Personally i switched away from Bergers didnt care much for the results (everything died) but didnt like the gernade effect. Switched over to 200 grain Eld x shot great, blows up on everything inside of 400-450 (wasnt excited) once again everything died. Made the switch once again to Nosler Accubonds, and in my opinion are a better bullet out of the Ultra Mag. Just my thoughts. So your aware the bullet testing was on over 30 plus elk, 10 deer, 7 antelope, anywhere from 60 to 625 yards. The elk were not all harvested by myself but the rifles got there work in. In sort it is an amazing good cartridge in my opinion. Down side is alot of powder. But they hit like thors hammer. Put a muzzle break on it and a kid can shoot it just fine.
Thank you for your input. For hunting, I absolutely swear by Accubonds or Partitions. I got this rifle to punch paper way out there. Im sure the hunting bug will hit me with it too. I've got 180 and 200 grain AB's as well. What is your COAL with the 200 AB ?

Don't count them out just yet. He is giving me another, and this time I'm going to drill the threads out, and use a small bolt and nut. That way I don't have to worry about stripping the threads out of the aluminum.

Thank you for your input. For hunting, I absolutely swear by Accubonds or Partitions. I got this rifle to punch paper way out there. Im sure the hunting bug will hit me with it too. I've got 180 and 200 grain AB's as well. What is your COAL with the 200 AB i

Factory 220 Precision Hunter, and the 225 ELD-M set at 3.800". Tossed in the over glorified .260 with a 150gr for reference.😬😬😬🤣

20201130_193437_copy_1120x1672.jpg

Last edited:
Everything spot on same as my experiences. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.