My 30-06 project

Mitch Rapp, I really like your rattle can work on the AR! đź‘Ť

I've got a 22+ yr old Steyr Safebolt in 30-06 that I would like to paint. At 300 yd it still shoots sub half-moa with 150 Accubonds and has always shot 0.75 moa with most factory 180's. I find the recoil of the 150's at 2900 fps more tolerable. So I shoot the 180's in 300 WSM. But I digress.

I'm curious what durable paint you would recommend for my ABS stock and did you use some kind of camo mesh for your AR pattern or some other masking material?

Thanks for any skills you share.

View attachment 306570
For the camo paint I used Krylon or Rustoleum camo paint. I have had good luck with both, properly prepping the material is key. Wipe it all down with acetone or some other thing that will leave no residue and remove oils.

For the pattern, well this is the right time of year! Find some place selling Halloween stuff, and buy some ladies spiderweb leggings. I then make a frame out of wire, stretch the leggings on it and go to town!

Hey all, I'm not a real active poster, prefer to just read and search a lot, but figured I would start a thread for my new rifle. See if I get any cool ideas!

My primary long range gun is a 6.5 Sherman, amazing rifle. Was a gift from some friends.

My kids are getting older, and I was wanting to add something to the safe so we could play the long range game together a bit. A friend had a Rem 700 Long Range that had spent its life un fired under a bed. It had some rust on the outside, but not bad. I figured it would be a fun one to play with, I already reload for 30-06 so no setup costs there. Plus it will be nice to have a gun that I don't freak out over losing a piece of brass! LOL. Going to do some things to this one I haven't had the nerve to do to my 6.5 (it's too pretty). I really enjoy rattle canning my rifles, there's probably something wrong with me...

So far I have painted the metal, and fit a Magpul floorplate to it. That was very easy btw, about 5 min with a file, and it dropped right in. The Bell & Carlson stock was a bit long for me, so I trimmed it to match the LOP of the HS Precision Sendero stock on my 6.5.

Trying to decide on a load, either 178-180s or 200 grainers. Hope to push the old 06 a bit and see what it can do. Hopefully this rifle left the factory on a good day for Remington, if not, this will be a longer project than currently intended...
I've had more that a few Remington 700's over the years and I guess that all of mine left the Remington factory on a good day. Never had one that didn't shoot well. Most 30-06 left the factory with a 1/10 barrel and they seemed to really like 165/168 gr from almost everyone. 180 gr's weren't bad either. Some 200 gr shot well, others didn't. Just enjoy the shoot-ability of the 700. It is a winner. :)

Got my scope over Thanksgiving, did some load development over the next couple weeks. Running the 178s at 2,848 and I'm happy with that. May adjust some for accuracy as we go, but the load seemed consistent enough for starters.

Now I just need a good day so I can rattle can the rest.

Scope is a Vortex Diamondback Tactical, I was initially planning on a "nicer" optic, but wanted to give this style of reticle a try. Glass seems pretty good.
2E9EA449-60DE-4A1B-8DCE-0BDF2631F3AB.jpeg

I have some 208's I try to get loaded for my 22" M70 FWT. I'll post the results once I get them loaded maybe in the spring. I'm concentrating on ice fishing now.

Last edited:
Mitch Rapp, I really like your rattle can work on the AR! đź‘Ť

I've got a 22+ yr old Steyr Safebolt in 30-06 that I would like to paint. At 300 yd it still shoots sub half-moa with 150 Accubonds and has always shot 0.75 moa with most factory 180's. I find the recoil of the 150's at 2900 fps more tolerable. So I shoot the 180's in 300 WSM. But I digress.

I'm curious what durable paint you would recommend for my ABS stock and did you use some kind of camo mesh for your AR pattern or some other masking material?

Thanks for any skills you share.

View attachment 306570
Brownells store brand, "Alumahyde" I think is the name holds up very well.

The ol 30-06 looks good.been trying g to find a bull barrel 30-06 for a project I've been thanking up as well.again rifle looks good.how does it like the 178s? I loaded some in a rem 700 adl I use to have and I couldn't get the to shoot well in it but I believe it was due to the rifle having a very long throat but I'm not sure

The ol 30-06 looks good.been trying g to find a bull barrel 30-06 for a project I've been thanking up as well.again rifle looks good.how does it like the 178s? I loaded some in a rem 700 adl I use to have and I couldn't get the to shoot well in it but I believe it was due to the rifle having a very long throat but I'm not sure
Try some Sierra or Nosler 165 gr. They seem to shoot quite well in most 30 cal rifles

Try some Sierra or Nosler 165 gr. They seem to shoot quite well in most 30 cal rifles
If he has a very long throat going backwards in weight/length is going to reduce accuracy in all likelihood, not increase it.

The more freebore you have the more inconsistent bullets will be in bore alignment when they finally dig into the lands.

Pick a class/weight/length of bullet you are most interested in and make sure your smith knows this going in. That way he can cut the throat specifically to optimize it for those longer and heavier bullets.

Im late to the party, but my Rem 700 30-06 is not picky. It shoots a variety of bullets well. 175 gr SMK over 56.5 gr of IMR 4831 was clover leaf groups, this was my version of the M72 match load. 165 gr hunting bullets with 55.5 gr of H4350. Congrats on the rifle, Iand I hope you enjoy it. I still want one of these. I have one in 7mm magnum, but still have major love for the 06; it's my favorite caliber.

Im late to the party, but my Rem 700 30-06 is not picky. It shoots a variety of bullets well. 175 gr SMK over 56.5 gr of IMR 4831 was clover leaf groups, this was my version of the M72 match load. 165 gr hunting bullets with 55.5 gr of H4350. Congrats on the rifle, Iand I hope you enjoy it. I still want one of these. I have one in 7mm magnum, but still have major love for the 06; it's my favorite caliber.
What model or type is your 700?

What model or type is your 700?
Since you brought it up. We still have my dad's first year of production Model 760 pump 30-06 with the same 4x Weaver it came with as a combo.

It's the most ridiculously accurate pump action rifle I've ever seen or shot shooting MOA or better with just about everything we ever fed it from the .40gr accelerators to the old 180gr Bear Claws and CorLoc's.

1643436922846.png

Since you brought it up. We still have my dad's first year of production Model 760 pump 30-06 with the same 4x Weaver it came with as a combo.

It's the most ridiculously accurate pump action rifle I've ever seen or shot shooting MOA or better with just about everything we ever fed it from the .40gr accelerators to the old 180gr Bear Claws and CorLoc's.
I had one that shot everything. Including $1 a box surplus French military ammo.

I used it with a peep sight for a long time, I scoped just for fun and found it outshot my bolt gun.

That it would literally shoot anything was the amazing part.