My 30-06 project

Mitch Rapp

Hey all, I'm not a real active poster, prefer to just read and search a lot, but figured I would start a thread for my new rifle. See if I get any cool ideas!

My primary long range gun is a 6.5 Sherman, amazing rifle. Was a gift from some friends.

My kids are getting older, and I was wanting to add something to the safe so we could play the long range game together a bit. A friend had a Rem 700 Long Range that had spent its life un fired under a bed. It had some rust on the outside, but not bad. I figured it would be a fun one to play with, I already reload for 30-06 so no setup costs there. Plus it will be nice to have a gun that I don't freak out over losing a piece of brass! LOL. Going to do some things to this one I haven't had the nerve to do to my 6.5 (it's too pretty). I really enjoy rattle canning my rifles, there's probably something wrong with me...

So far I have painted the metal, and fit a Magpul floorplate to it. That was very easy btw, about 5 min with a file, and it dropped right in. The Bell & Carlson stock was a bit long for me, so I trimmed it to match the LOP of the HS Precision Sendero stock on my 6.5.

Trying to decide on a load, either 178-180s or 200 grainers. Hope to push the old 06 a bit and see what it can do. Hopefully this rifle left the factory on a good day for Remington, if not, this will be a longer project than currently intended...

Attachments

• 06 magazine.jpg
    06 magazine.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 181
Looks good so far! Have you spray painted an action and barrel before? I'm wondering how well it holds up.
Haven't done a bolt action in a while, but I did this AR, probably 6 yars ago, and
20211024_224549.jpg
while it has some definite marks from use, it's holding up well. And the camo pattern sorta helps make any markings sorta blend in.

Looks like a nice project for sure I always wanted one of those long range models in 30-06 a friend of mine had one and I really like the rifle for what it is and you can't beat a 06 any ways.the loading I've done in 06 the 178 eld x bullets done the best for me

Trying to decide on a load, either 178-180s or 200 grainers. Hope to push the old 06 a bit and see what it can do.
I got 178 AH and 180 HHs over 3000 the first trip out with mine. Hybrid 100V, both in new Peterson brass and random Hornady/Rem factory brass.

I bought a Rem 700 LR once. The first time I took the butt pad off my B&C stock the thing fell apart, the fiberglass cracked and flaked. Getting the warranty swap out on the stock was super convenient because the rifle had to go back in because it wouldn't chamber out of the box..... hopefully you got a Monday gun and not a Friday at 4:55pm gun like me 🤣 It's working decently now though.

Tagging in, looks great and really like the idea. My 30-06 likes 150/165/168 so I stay there but interested!

Glad to know that bottom metal/mags work! I was about to do the same for my R700/B&C rifle, haven't yet due to entertaining the idea of a different stock all together.

If it's a 10 twist I'd be loading 215 Berger's over RL-26. You might want to search that thread but I think you'll be shocked. If memory serves there were 212 eld-x's in the ~2800 range. I'm pushing 200 gr SGK's at 2700 from a 22" -06 with RL-16 so I totally believe you could hit 2800-2900 with a 26" and RL-26. You may want a brake 😂

If it's a 10 twist I'd be loading 215 Berger's over RL-26. You might want to search that thread but I think you'll be shocked. If memory serves there were 212 eld-x's in the ~2800 range. I'm pushing 200 gr SGK's at 2700 from a 22" -06 with RL-16 so I totally believe you could hit 2800-2900 with a 26" and RL-26. You may want a brake 😂
Yeah I believe one member shot 212 eldx in the 2700 fps range with his 22" Win Model 70 and 6.5 Staball. The other member built his rifle with 26" Wilson barrel and shot 208 eldm's in I think the 2900 fps range with RL26. A 215 gr Hybrid going 2700 fps or better is going to be a good load.

Mitch Rapp, I really like your rattle can work on the AR! 👍

I've got a 22+ yr old Steyr Safebolt in 30-06 that I would like to paint. At 300 yd it still shoots sub half-moa with 150 Accubonds and has always shot 0.75 moa with most factory 180's. I find the recoil of the 150's at 2900 fps more tolerable. So I shoot the 180's in 300 WSM. But I digress.

I'm curious what durable paint you would recommend for my ABS stock and did you use some kind of camo mesh for your AR pattern or some other masking material?

Thanks for any skills you share.

505180DB-B1AE-4DD0-9D71-62D2DB838606.jpeg

I'm thinking I might have to spray paint my barrel and action.

Many guys paint their Tikka stocks with krylon (camo or the web stuff) and they say it lasts pretty well. Some of them will use a can of clear matte duracoat to give it a durable finish.

I'm thinking if I spray mine, I'm going to do the action and the stock and then get a can of clear duracoat to make it last longer. That stuff is $60/can and it has a shelf life after activating it, but it might be worthwhile for a cheaper alternative to cerakote

As for speeds, I found some 200 eldx and a pound of hybrid 100 and Hunter to try out. I'm getting 2685 on sierra 200s with h4350 and absolutely no pressure.