My 280 - Updated!

trebark

After several months of waiting, my rifle is back from the gunsmith. Also, I've had some opportunity to do some shooting with it. Here are the specs and results:

Action: Trued-up Remington 700
Caliber: .280Rem
Stock: HS Precision
Scope: Leupold VXII 3x9
Barrel: 24" #4 douglas taper, 1:9 twist
Trigger: stock remington, tuned to a crisp 3lbs.
Gunsmith: Jim Hart with Hart Rifle Barrels

Here's how it looked when it arrived from the 'smith

unpaintedrifle.jpg

and after an initial coat of brown paint. Additional camo painting to come.

brownrifle.jpg

How does it shoot? how about .375" at 100 yards and 1.25" at 200. If I had not pulled the 3rd shot at 200 the group would have been <.75". (the holes in the top right of the target are from another shooter)

100200yards.jpg

Then 4.6" at 600 (the two other spots are from another shooter)

600yards.jpg

Although I don't have pics, it shot 7" at 800 and 10" at 1000.

All this with factory loaded Remington 150grain PSP bullets!

Finally, while I did the shooting, much of the credit belongs to Hart Rifle Barrels for building a great platform. They did great work and reasonably priced - I would recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:
That is very nice.

I guess you went to Rec Fire today. I seem to recognize the mowed grass after having spent many days laying in it.

Jim

Buffalobob:
It has been like Christmas! Rec fire last week and both days this weekend. I'll be back out tomorrow (Sunday) on range 305 to get the rifle zeroed-in.

Re: My 280

The rifle weighs-in, with scope, without bi-pod and unloaded, at nine pounds.

The rifles primary use will be east coast deer hunting. So I'll be carrying it most of the time. Nine pounds is about as much as I like on my shoulder for a full day of hunting up and down the rolling hills of Virginia.

Nice rifle. Have to say I personally liked the black/stainless better, however it looks good in brown.

How where you adjusting for range?

Charles:
I agree with you on the look of the rifle. As I look at the pics, I rather like the black/stainless too. Fortunately, the paint that is on the rifle is not permanent. I just might strip it back.

In terms of adjustment, just took the caps off and turned the adjustment. The scope has just enough 'come-up' to get on the bottom of a target at 1k. With deer season about to open, I'm not very inclined to change the rifle's configuration because currently the longest shot I could possibly get on the place I hunt is 500 yards. But once deer season is over in January I'll probably change to a 20moa base.

Thanks Boss...what impressed me (if I may toot my own horn) is that it performed like this shooting the inexpensive Remington ammo.

I plan to build one more rifle, then turn my budget towards reloading. Imagine the possibilities!

Gota love the 280. It's been my go to rifle for 20+ years. and I just had mine rebuilt also.

My 280 now has updated optics. Here's a couple pics.

I sent the scope back to Leupold and had them install M1 knobs and mil-dot reticle. If you have Leupold scope and you want to consider having Leupold do some upgrades for you - they do a great job. The new knobs and reticle in my scope are great. The adjustments are reliable and repeatable. The new reticle is crystal clear.

Also, the rings and bases have been upgraded. I changed from the standard Leupold two piece bases with medium rings to Burris Signature Rings and Bases. The rings have the plastic inserts so the scope is canted +30moa. It's a great set-up that is rock solid.

I have also begun to do some reloading for this rifle (can you find primers?). It continues to shoot pretty well at .75 moa with a load of Fed210 primers, IMR4350 and 150grain Sierra Game Kings. From previous testing I know this rifle is capable of .5moa, so load testing will continue.

View from the front

newscope001.jpg

View from the rear

newscope002.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.