My 25yrd site-in, oops!

padd54

I changed around some scopes and went out this morning to site them in. Well, I set the target up at 25yrds and bore-sited them. Then I procceded to site them all 2.5" high.
I know I messed up, but how far off is this going to make me at 100yrds?

I was using the 22-250, 40g @ 3800fps,
243, 70g @ 3200fps and 270, 130g @ 2875fps.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray,

Depends on the specifics, of course (sight/scope height, etc.) but right about 25-27 yards is where the bullet path first crosses the line of sight for most hunting type set ups. This is referred to as your "near zero," while the point at which we normally zero our rifles for POA/POI (100, 200 yards, whatever), is called the "far zero." If you can resight the rifles to be pretty much point of aim, point of impact at 25-26 yards, you should be very close out at 100-200 yards.

Take a look at a ballistics program if you have one available, and see where the near zero is for your particular set up, and you should be off to a good start.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Thanks for the reply. I forced myself to go back out to the shooting spot and do it all over again.

I got them all shooting on the money except one. It is still high by about 2" at 100yrds and there is no more adjustment on the turret to get it any lower.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts