My 2012 spring bear

Black Sheep

After a failed Montana black bear hunt (no shot even taken!) I ended up with a last minute discount guided hunt in Wyoming. Friend of mine has an outfitter for a cousin that had 4 hunters back out at the last minute, so I fell into a discounted trip. Only had three days to hunt, and it was 6 hrs away. There were several 6ft bears on trail cams hitting his bait. My dad came along for the fun of it, and one of my buddies came along for his own bear. The night we arrived, the second guide ended up in the hospital with a broken hand from playing softball! I'll be darned if he didn't show up the next morning in a partial cast and went out hunting, including a 30 minute horeseback ride to the bait station. Day one, sat on bait for 8-9 hours, and not a peep on either station. Day two, Brady (the guide with the busted hand) couldn't even get dressed, his hand was swollen so badly. We ended up road hunting along the river. Saw tons of deer, elk, and even 3 moose. Right along the riverbank we spotted a cow moose about 70 yards from the road. Got out to look at her, and saw her brand new calf right next to her still doing the drunken stagger! But alas, no bears. After lunch, Brady was good to go. Headed back out to our respective bait stations. My bait station had been hit since the night before, and we were sick about deciding to road hunt! Reset bait barrel, and placed out some bacon over a sterno can, and sat in the rain for 5 hours or so, until it turned to snow!!!! After over an hour of snow, and over an inch accumulated on the ground we decided to call it quits and go get warm and dry. Stood up, got backpack and told my dad it was time to leave, when the Guide whacked me on the arm. Turned around, and the bait barrel was tipped over!!!!! Snowing so hard, couldn't make out bear through the scope. Only saw a side profile of his head from behind a tree, and then he disappeared. Sat for another half hour, and decided he wasn't coming back. Decided to leave again, and before we stood up, saw some movement in a small gully! Waited a few more minutes, and he popped up behind a pine tree. Sent a 130 grain Barnes TSX right through his shoulder, and he piled up about ten yards away! Chocolate bear that rubbed all of his hair off the right and left sides, but he still had long hair on his head, legs, and about a 1 inch wide mohawk stripe all down his spine!!:cool: He is tiny, only about 4 feet but he is a trophy in my book! First ever bear!!!:D
Shameless plug time--This was my first ever guided hunt, and even though it was a discounted hunt, the service was top notch! Brady guided my buddy with a busted right hand for two days! Trevor, the outfitter, did a great job with me at being new to riding horses, especially in the mountains. Trevor put us up in his basement, and his wonderful wife Dez was up before us with hot breakfast waiting, and lunches packed. When we returned from hunting at 10 at night, she had a hot meal waiting! Accommodations were great, the hunting area was spectacular, and my horse was pretty patient with me! If you ever want to hunt in Star Valley, Wyoming for bear, deer, or Elk, get ahold of Trevor Kunz at 5koutfitters.com

Attachments

• 2012 bear hunt.jpg
    2012 bear hunt.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 123
I remember my first bear like it was yesterday.
Heck its right there with my first Buck, & first Elk memories. Those memories don't fade! Still waiting on my first cat, & legal wolf.

Good job, & way to hang in there & not give up. That's a bear earned not given.
+1 with Harperc, smile says it all.
You said a 130TSX. So I'm guessing a 270?

Hey Black Sheep,
Good job on your 1st bear. There are more bears in the mountains east of Star Valley than people realize. I live in Idaho Falls which is only about an hour from there.
Congrats,
Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.