My 2005 Brooks Range, Alaska Dall Sheep Hunt by Jim Speaks

Well the hunt was to be for Grizzly and Black Bear. We were in GMU 16A and we stayed in a town named Trapper Creek. We were about 40 miles south of Mount McKinley. Anyway, we both (my father and I) shot Black Bear. I saw a total of three Grizzly, but was not able to shoot them. my father never saw a Grizzly. The hunt started with the first day of rain. What a shock in Alaska. The second day, there was a light drizzle in the AM. We went out and checked on a location were a neighbor of the guide shot a Moose. We were also looking to shoot wolf. Anyway, we walked in and saw a large Grizzly on the gut pile, happy days, yea right. I lean up against a tree, take off the safety, align the crosshairs, and wait for the go ahead from the guide. Now, I've been married twice, and live in New York, so why should my luck change now. So out comes this "cub", the guide said that we should not shoot. Oh good. Second day would be to easy for me. On the way back to the truck, the guide said that the cub was big, about 300 pounds and should have been on it's own. I figure that Mayor Bloomburg had something to do with this. Later that day, about 9:10 in the evening we are pulling our stand together to go home when the guide spots a large Grizzly in the Salmon stream. A quick stalk, failing light and before I can raise the rifle, the bear grabs a Salmon and goes into the woods to eat. Exit the bear and any kind of light. The next day a shot my Black Bear. No more Grizzly sightings. The bears seemed to hunt and walk the beaches at night. Well, Africa next and then back to Alaska for sheep.

Well that's hunting for you. I hope you get to go back some day and get a grizzly. Prior to my trip to AK I had never really given much thought to bear hunting. However, since then it's definitely on my to-do list. Hope your trip to Africa goes well, keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.