My 100lb plan for 2016 elk hunt

****, good squat form. Your knees must be screaming after that. I usually workout with 275 and my legs feel like jelly and my knees feel like they aren't there.

We don't man. I wish we did. We don't even have 10story buildings around here haha

My cardio is 18-20 incline out of 30 scale on thread mill at 2.5 to 3 MPH for 30-45 minutes at least 3X a week all year around. This is an excellent cardio simulating your climb after the elk. My target zone is under 140 on heart rate (working to further lower it); for me, this is my max where I can still shoot comfortably ... been doing this for a few years now.

Good luck and keep up the excellent work!

500-700 calories a day and and no fat whatso ever. Look up HCG diet. Unpleasant but it works

Are you working with a dietitian on this? That seems very low.

A couple of years ago, in my effort to reduce my A1C, I did a self-imposed caloric intake of to 1800 a day. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks but I was so hungry after my work outs. My dietitian increased it to 2500 per day for my work out and activities.

She said, it's not all about the weight as I am also changing my body structure; fat turns to muscle and muscle has more mass than fat, etc ...

I don't want to scare you but a guy on base won the base biggest loser (IIRC, over 100 pounds) challenge a few years ago, he passed out the gym while working out and was rushed to the ER ... don't remember the cause though. Fast forward to present, he gain it all back. :(

I hope that is not the case for you. Again, good luck.

Cheers!

I have to be honest. My performance over the last week or so has not been very inspiring. The holidays and deer camp have been kicking my ***. I'm going back in tomorrow for chest day and I'm either gonna do some running afterwards or do chest and squats. Just gonna see what I feel like.

I weighed in today after this past week of debochery and it was not cool, I am not happy about the results of this little binge. I'm gonna try to keep my head above water till this **** Holiday thing blows over and hopefully i can make some real progress on the weight loss after January 1. I do have to admit the holiday season protein intake is doing wonders for my strength though, which that extra muscle will pay dividends after the first when I switch over to more endurance work as it will burn more calories hopefully.

I'm not doing the hcg now. I did it last year. Thats why Im working out now to avoid having to do it again to get ready for the elk hunting trip.

All I can say is, I'm glad you're doing something about it ahead of time. Elk hunting, at less in my experience is no joke.

In 2013, my buddies and I ran into a guy hauling a game cart on a fairly flat trail and we thought he was going to have a heart attack and he had 5 more miles before mile climb to help a friend recover an elk.

Keep up the good work and good luck.

backyardsniper,

My buddy and I hunted elk in a new area today. It took us 3.5 hours to climb 5 miles to the top of the ridge (2K' elevation gain) and 2 hours back down. There's 2-4" of snow on the ~30 degree slope trails and it's slick on some areas. No such luck though. :D

I was carrying a 9 lbs rifle set-up and 35 lbs pack. Thought of your prep time for your upcoming hunt. Cheers!

At that low of a calorie count your doing more bad than good. If you stick to a 2300-2500 calorie count you will end up repairing more muscle. IE keeping injures down and building more muscle which in turn will burn fat faster. What kind of sets are you doing on each of your workouts.

At that low of a calorie count your doing more bad than good. If you stick to a 2300-2500 calorie count you will end up repairing more muscle. IE keeping injures down and building more muscle which in turn will burn fat faster. What kind of sets are you doing on each of your workouts.

Yep! That sounds familiar :cool: ...

Are you working with a dietitian on this? That seems very low.

A couple of years ago, in my effort to reduce my A1C, I did a self-imposed caloric intake of to 1800 a day. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks but I was so hungry after my work outs. My dietitian increased it to 2500 per day for my work out and activities.

She said, it's not all about the weight as I am also changing my body structure; fat turns to muscle and muscle has more mass than fat, etc ...

After reading through this thread I thought I would throw in my two cents for what its worth. I own a mountaineering school that runs trips around the world so I have a bit of experience training for high altitude endeavors. I am also an elk hunting fanatic. While being in good shape in really important to have a successful elk hunt the great equalizing factor for everyone will be the altitude. I have had clients who were very successful triathalon and marathon runners just totally blow up on me at altitude! I actually think they were in "too good" of a fitness level. There bodies actually were affected by the high altitudes quicker than someone of a moderate fitness level. Not sure why. Anyhow we have had many of clients have success using products that help simulate high elevation while at home. Hypoxico is one such company. The only downside is the expense, but many hunters spend huge amounts of money to hunt every year so maybe it would be worth it. I'm not one of those folks so I just head to my hunting grounds 3-4 days early and start acclimating to the altitude or I build up my mileage slowly, such as hunting only 1-2 miles day 1 and 2, then 2-4 miles day 3, and so on. I also make sure I start hydrating my body a week before I leave to go hunting. Hydration is key to avoid altitude sickness as is keeping the calories flowing into your body as well as maintaining a slow and steady pace while hunting so as to keep your heart rate low. Not sure if any of this is helpful, but there you go!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.