MX Desert Sheep 2023

Bighorn191

Just came from MX and had a great hunt on the Seri mainland with Timber King Outfitting, guide Brian L. This was my Grand Slam ram and while I honestly always knew I would get a desert ram, I didn't think I'd have to go to MX to do it, I always figured I could draw a tag in NV or AZ. That obviously hasn't happened. 30 points in both of those states and it felt like I'd never draw.

I decided to take both my sons on the hunt as I knew it would be a really big moment when it happened. That was a really great decision, as I think sheep hunting is made to be shared!

As all my ram hunts have gone, it was a marathon. We hunted in mid Feb. and had big rain and weather that pushed the rams into who knows where. We hunted 8 days and never saw a shooter. So, we went back last week and finally found this great 10 year old ram.

I was able to get setup on my trusty RRS tripod and made the 675 yard shot with a component built 6.5 PRC. Terminus action, Proof barrel, Manners LRH stock, Tangent scope. I can't say enough good things about this tripod setup and it allows you to get rock solid on slopes and you can stand or sit or kneel. It's also very good from a confidence standpoint when you practice shooting a lot at various distances and feel comfy when you have to make a tougher shot when hunting. I had to also hold about 1.5 MOA for a slight crosswind.

Once the ram was down, there was a lot of hugging and a massive amount of tears! It's a long path to get 4 rams. 26 years and 5 months for me...worth every step and dollar spent though!

I had asked on another post about bringing guns/optics back to the US. That was absolutely no big deal and even though I had the CBP form filled out and ready, they never even asked for it.

I'm trying to figure out how to post the kill video - it may take a while.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_3582.jpeg
    IMG_3582.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 350
  • IMG_3593.jpeg
    IMG_3593.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 343
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 347
Congratulations Bighorn!
That's a beautiful old desert ram to end your slam quest! And yes, having your sons in tow could be the best part.
My son was with me on all of my sheep harvests and we regularly relive those incredible adventures. Very well done!

Congratulations Bighorn!
That's a beautiful old desert ram to end your slam quest! And yes, having your sons in tow could be the best part.
My son was with me on all of my sheep harvests and we regularly relive those incredible adventures. Very well done!
Thank you, yes, that's super cool to have your son along on your hunts - mine were still draggin on the T when I killed my first ram...it takes a long time to get 4 if you are trying to draw a bighorn and a desert.

Just came from MX and had a great hunt on the Seri mainland with Timber King Outfitting, guide Brian L. This was my Grand Slam ram and while I honestly always knew I would get a desert ram, I didn't think I'd have to go to MX to do it, I always figured I could draw a tag in NV or AZ. That obviously hasn't happened. 30 points in both of those states and it felt like I'd never draw.

I decided to take both my sons on the hunt as I knew it would be a really big moment when it happened. That was a really great decision, as I think sheep hunting is made to be shared!

As all my ram hunts have gone, it was a marathon. We hunted in mid Feb. and had big rain and weather that pushed the rams into who knows where. We hunted 8 days and never saw a shooter. So, we went back last week and finally found this great 10 year old ram.

I was able to get setup on my trusty RRS tripod and made the 675 yard shot with a component built 6.5 PRC. Terminus action, Proof barrel, Manners LRH stock, Tangent scope. I can't say enough good things about this tripod setup and it allows you to get rock solid on slopes and you can stand or sit or kneel. It's also very good from a confidence standpoint when you practice shooting a lot at various distances and feel comfy when you have to make a tougher shot when hunting. I had to also hold about 1.5 MOA for a slight crosswind.

Once the ram was down, there was a lot of hugging and a massive amount of tears! It's a long path to get 4 rams. 26 years and 5 months for me...worth every step and dollar spent though!

I had asked on another post about bringing guns/optics back to the US. That was absolutely no big deal and even though I had the CBP form filled out and ready, they never even asked for it.

I'm trying to figure out how to post the kill video - it may take a while.
Great Ram congratulations 👍👍