Muzzleloaders and smokeless powders

There are people out there using smokeless powder in muzzleloaders other than a savage model 10II I hear about and I have seeing photograph of guns they have blowed up. Every time a group of us guy gets together and starts talking about muzzleloaders the smokeless question always come up I believe a person could build a custom 45 caliber muzzleloader that could use in taking the pressure that smokeless powder produced but currently the only gun you should put smokeless in is the savage.

Brent, Quaken...

I have been building smokless muzzle loaders for many years, i simply use a Rem Rolling block action, a high pressure bbl in 45 0r 50 cal. 50 is the most popular.
They are fired with a 209 primer, 27 grns of 2400 powder. Tack drivers !!! Elk at 200 yds the barnes X muzzel loader sabo round will go through with lots of damage.

There is a pic of one i built on my website. web page
Birdseye maple stock,,Douglas Stainless bbl, half octagon, half round.

Another smokeless fan!!
smile.gif

Any good info on how the smokeless muzzleloader is primed, loaded etc?

This is all new to me and I don't know diddly about how it's all done.

Books, links or any info to get started would be very much appreciated also.
smile.gif

Thanks guys

Hey thanks for posting my pic Quaken.

This was made for a friend of mine and he has taken some nice bucks with it. If i can remember it was around 1400.00 been about 8 years ago. It all depends if you can supply a Rem Rolling Block action. Any questions just send me a email.

The idea I have is to take a Ruger No. 1 in 458 Winchester magnum and do nothing more then install a breechplug. The hardest thing would be to install a ramrod because the mounting for the forearm is in the center.
wink.gif

Smi installs a ML'er barrel in the Ruger No.#1. With the announcement that Savage no longer will produce thier Sav ML'er-II smokeless ML'ers, And after the announcement they are drying up fast. These companies such as SMI,Pac-Nor, And new guys on the block McGowan barrels will be seeing more work. A popular conversion is a 45 Cal barrel on a Rem 700 ML'er action by Pac-Nor. Never ever use smokeless powder in any ML'er. It must say smokeless powder. Don't listen to those who say you can shoot smokeless in a BP gun, you can't if you do it becomes a 1 shot affair along with causing some real physical damage like loosing a hand or your eye sight. To answer the question as too the ram rod no problem get a colapsable ram rod problem solved. Good Hunting Lou

There is a lot of information out there regarding smokeless MLers. The key is first using a barrel that is up to the task and designed for smokeless and second, using a breechplug like the Henry Ball/Savage uses that will not allow excess pressure back into the action.

Anyone dumb enough to use smokeless in a ML not designed for it...well if your going to be dumb you better be tough.

There is no need to use smokless powder in a ML since the introduction of Blackhorn 209. If you dont know about BH 209 then do a little research on it. It is by far the best powder ever produced for MLs. You can shoot and shoot and shoot and dont have to clean the barrel until you are finished shooting. No more swabbing between shots and cleaning after every 4 or 5. It is also very accurate

There is no need to use smokless powder in a ML since the introduction of Blackhorn 209. If you dont know about BH 209 then do a little research on it. It is by far the best powder ever produced for MLs. You can shoot and shoot and shoot and dont have to clean the barrel until you are finished shooting. No more swabbing between shots and cleaning after every 4 or 5. It is also very accurate

> I use the Montana Brand 209 stuff in my 44 Super Blackhawk, behind cast lead. What a hoot!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.