Muzzleloader

It NEVER fails. If a post is going to go south about muzzleloaders and the subject is long range, without fail, its always a traditionalist/s that starts stirring the pot. NEVER the other way around!

This is how this post got started and now we've got the traditionalists posting fire flying phots and telling everyone else only they do it right.
What u appear to have missed is there are a few of us that like traditional MLS that are defending you guys that like the long range ones. Just because I like flint doesn't mean I think less of guys that like other kinds. Let's try to not set up adversarial situations that don't need to exist. There are enough intolerant people already.

What u appear to have missed is there are a few of us that like traditional MLS that are defending you guys that like the long range ones. Just because I like flint doesn't mean I think less of guys that like other kinds. Let's try to not set up adversarial situations that don't need to exist. There are enough intolerant people already.
No, I haven't missed that but, this post has been taken well off track from long range.

But ..................... if the spear season was the same as the bigbore rifle season would you select the spear in a field full of hunters carrying 300 mags wearing 5-20 power optics? My guess is - no.
U guess correctly.
As I said, I'm a hunter. Not a bowhunter or mzl hunter or rifle hunter, just a hunter.
I truly admire everyone that limits themselves to a particular challenge and is willing to hunt with a bow or traditional mzl for the love of doing it the hard way.
I happen to like smokeless mzl's. Most places i hunt that's what i hunt with.
I have no problem whatsoever with someone that wants to pursue game with something else.

I built my muzzy using an Arrowhead remage Barrel conversion and used it to successfully take my best buck last week at 440 yards. Here's the video:

418EDBDF-23CE-4499-8AC3-50A60FCAA82B.jpeg
F7A63F1A-ADF6-4E68-916A-859E3716A838.jpeg

What's the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.
From my understanding CVA redesigned the new ELR bullet for better expansion. This is a recovered bullet from a deer I shot at 100 yards through the shoulders. Also groups at 500 yards and my ballistic chart with the CVA paramount using 105gr BH209 by weight.
If you want to keep things simple and more affordable cost and want to hunt long range with a muzzleloader get you a paramount pro (can add a muzzle break on the pro) and the powerbelt ELR bullet and shoot 100-105 grains blackhorn 209 by weight and you can kill an elk well past 500 yards.
Arrowhead Rifles makes a custom that shoots slightly better than the CVA but at greater cost and you have to swage bullets. If you're really into that kind of hunting the additional cost and time for the arrowhead rifle is worth it. But if you want simpler and more cost efficient go CVA.

Attachments

• DC8507E7-731D-45F1-8073-DA9C7AE723AE.png
    DC8507E7-731D-45F1-8073-DA9C7AE723AE.png
    790.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 376CA64D-EC61-4EB9-A8A6-EE8CCC7E5629.png
    376CA64D-EC61-4EB9-A8A6-EE8CCC7E5629.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 948
  • B0CECBCA-EBFE-4B26-A90E-010345F20294.png
    B0CECBCA-EBFE-4B26-A90E-010345F20294.png
    397 KB · Views: 302
What's the velocity of ur powerbelt at the muzzle ?
Even though it may be plenty capable of hitting a target at 500 yds I question whether or not it has enough energy to produce effective kills at that distance.
2400fps with 119grs of bh209. Still has 1379 lb/ft of energy. I'm using the new 50cal version since I'm in Colorado.

Have to say I agree. I have a couple of flintlocks in left hand and a percussion. They shoot 32, 50, 54 and 62 calibre round balls.. Max range is 150 yards. To me that is hunting with a muzzle loader. Stuffing smokeless powder down a gun that will shoot 500 yards and uses modern bullets at 3000 fps is just hunting with a modern rifle that is slower to load. That said, some guys seem to really like that and for many it is a way around the ML only season so they can extend their hunting time. All hunting is good as long as you are doing it legally and legal varies a lot by location.

I note a real positive with the flintlocks; when the flint falls; you have a split second to adjust the aim from your jiggle before ignition of the main charge. ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.